Ticking clock.

After the horror show at the ball, Gabriel took me back to his room at an inn. I was in shock and could barely even move. I look up at him as he cups my cheek, his eyes full of worry as he kneels down in front of me. "Shall I help you undress?" He mutters to me stroking my cheek with this thumb. I nod slightly and he rises helping me stand. His fingers fumble with my dress till the crimson material finally falls free to the floor. Walking away in search of something, I wrap my arms around myself watching Gabriel. My own fingers feel foreign to my skin. Gabriel walks back with a large shirt, he looks down at me before dropping it onto his bed and hugging me tightly. He feels warm against me, I can hear his heartbeat. I welcome his embrace  and grip onto him. We stand like this, hugging and listening to each other breathe for what feels like forever.

I finally change into the shirt while Gabriel undresses himself from his fancy suit. I sit curled up on the bed as the events of last night race through my mind over and over again. Shouting echoes through the street as we both look up, Gabriel heading to the window. "Seems they are planning on staying for a while" he says pushing his hair back while sighing. As he starts to fold his clothes I manage to speak after all this time. "Come to bed..." I mumble, watching him glance back and smile in relief. The shirt falls from his hands as he walks over and sits down with me on the bed. Slowly, we both lie down and I shuffle close to him seeking heat and protection. His arms wrap me up in a protective shell as I play with his necklace. The grip of sleep drags me away from his scent of beer and the sea wind to the dark abyss.

When I wake in the morning he is stroking my hair humming quietly to himself. I look up at him and smile softly. "Morning lass" he mumbles and leans down. Our lips ease into a kiss and his hand meets my cheek as I grip onto his shoulder. The sensation and taste of his lips wakes me up and calms down the wild thoughts plaguing my mind. As we pull apart he stares at me with a large smile on his face. "Natalia...sail away with me" he says. The words startle me and I sit up thinking. Run away from my brother, who Ive been waiting for years, with the man I've known from almost a month and dearly love. I look down at Gabriel and nod smiling happily. "Yes, take me away from here my pirate" I say the happiest I've ever been. Gabriel lights up like a candle and pulls me back down to him. I squeal and giggle.

After I escape his gasp, I dress myself in some of his clothes using scarves to keep the trousers up. "I'll be back soon, I just want to grab some of my stuff." I say tying my hair up out of my face. The makeup from last night is still on my face, somehow. Gabriel sits behind me on the bed looking worried. "We will leave tonight lass, be back by midday." He says sternly, reaching up and tightening a scarf. I giggle and turn around kissing him. "Yes captain." I tease. Walking out, the streets are quit. Most people must be locked up in their homes scared to leave. I hope Katrina is okay, I didn't get to see her after those gunshots. I walk quickly to my house and get inside locking the door, turning to face the scene before me.

The place is a mess, someone has been here. No time to think or tidy, I rush upstairs to my just as messy room. I grab my bag and start to shove what clothes I can see into it. Pausing I look at my parents room. Should I go in to get that picture of mother and father? I haven't been in there since their death. My legs move before my mind can decide as I push the door open and head to my mothers desk, grabbing the photo. I snatch the bag up and rush back out towards the inn. My footsteps echo through the empty streets, part of my mind feels like I am being watched. Pausing, I glance around spinning on the spot. I must look crazy but I manage to prove to myself, no one is there. The town is in hiding but yet I feel like prey and the predator is so close to me. I sigh and continue on my way. Soon I will start a new life with Gabriel, away from all this. I will finally be free of these years of pain and loneliness.