Sweet silence.

I slept poorly last night, my head was sore as I listened to Katrina talk on about the summer ball her parents were planning. Katrina was lucky, she born into a rather wealthy family. My family and hers were close and after my parents died she began work in the bakery even though she had no need too. She has always been my closest friend. Katrina grabs my arm and leans in close, I already know the question burning a hole in her tongue. I sigh and rest my head on the counter. "Go on...ask" I mumble in defeat. Her squeals of happiness pierce my eardrums and vibrate into my soul, I swear she has the looks of a siren and the scream of a banshee. A pause occurs as she calms and settles herself brushing her apron down. "Miss Natalia, would you do me the upmost pleasure of coming to the ball with me?" She says in her most manly and deep voice. I stand straight and laugh then pretend to fan myself. "Oh sir! Of course I shall!" I say in a high voice similar to that of Freya. We both laugh and hug each other. Old traditions never die.

We close shop early as it is a Wednesday and I have to at least get some sleep before my pub shift. As I wonder home, I pass the port and pause remembering the events of last night. My heart beats faster and I scowl at myself walking away quickly. My thoughts begin to race. What did he mean about my brother? I bite my lip in thought moving slow with the crowd.  Why would my brother be following a man, no a criminal like that? Slowly I unlock my door and pause thinking hard about tales I have grown up knowing. If he was a part of Gabriel's crew, he would be here. Then that must mean..no Natalia. I sigh and close the door dumping my bag. My brother is not a pirate!

I manage to get some rest before nightfall but my thoughts are too consumed in trying to figure out my own brother. I take my usual route to the pub counting the ships at the port. Four have left now and no new ones. I smile to myself in slight relief, the pub shall be rather quiet tonight. Mainly locals I hope. Just to my luck, the place is not brimming with sailors and noise. My poor head can relax for a bit. Laurence gets me started with a couple orders but then I get some thinking time. I tap my nails on the wooden counter as I pout in thought. "If the wind changes, you'll be stuck with that face lass" Gabriel chirps to me as he sits down. I roll my eyes and stand up straight. He grins that charming grin that makes my knees weak and my heart ache. I have no time to ask him anything as Laurence whisks me away with another order.

As the night goes on, the pub becomes more barren and silent. This is my chance to question him. I storm over and stand next to him staring down at him. "You said my brother is follo-" I start but he interrupts me. "A hello would be nice or a good evening" Gabriel mutters into his glass. The cheek of this man is never ending! I scowl at him and continue anyway. "You said my brother is following you. Explain now." I demand looking at him wishing I could burn holes into him for answers. Gabriel rises and motions for me to follow him out. I quickly bid Laurence a good night and rush after him.

Gabriel leads me towards the port once again but stops once we are far enough from the lively crowds. I look at him, my heart in my throat as I await an answer. Gabriel rubs his eyes and looks down. "I cannot tell you, it would be better if he did when he gets here" he says avoiding my eyes. Anger rises in me and my blood boils as I raise my hand and strike him. As the anger inside me falls I come to my senses and cover my mouth in horror of what I've done. I turn quickly before he can utter a word and run away heading home. Natalia, you idiot! What have I become?!