The summer ball.

The night approached and I prepared myself at Katrina's house. Her mother styled my hair and makeup and even let me borrow some jewellery to match my dress. As guests arrive, the ball got into full swing. Katrina and I dance for a bit before I excuse myself to the garden for some air. I sit down by the rose bush and look up into the stars wondering what my brother was doing. My thoughts scatter as the stone path crunches under footsteps. I glance back and meet Gabriel's charming smile and glistening eyes. I can't help but smile back as he sits with me. We sit in silence for a bit before he speaks. "You owe me a dance lass" he smirks shuffling closer to me. I nod shyly and lean in myself. Our faces meet in the middle and I look into his eyes for a brief moment before our lips meet and I am kissing a pirate criminal. His lips are warm and taste of beer. His smell intoxicates me and my hands slide up his chest before resting upon his neck. We pull away and breathe softly, our eyes filled with each other's toxic smells. I giggle and look away towards the moon. What a way to start the night.

I treat him to several dances till my feet hurt and I am out of breath. We talk about our lives, I tell him about my parents and he tells me about his family. He has two sisters, Harriet and Megan. Both married. Stories of their childhood and how he became a pirate. All through our memories, a smile cannot escape my lips. He even introduces me to his crew, who despite being pirates look more like gentlemen then thieves. A man has never made me so happy before. I am about to tell him about my upcoming birthday but Katrina snatches me away for our favourite dance. I laugh with her as we glide around the floor, our dresses twirling together and involving us in the rainbow of colours from the dance. Suddenly the band stops as the main doors as slammed open.

I hug Katrina as we pant, exhausted from our silly dancing. I hear gasps amongst the crowd and my eyes search for Gabriel. His eyes meet mine and a strange look is consuming his, something I had not seen in him. Fear. I free myself from Katrina and walk towards Gabriel, pulling my dress up slightly to move quickly. A voice stops me half way there as a young man calls my name. "Natalia! Stay away from him!" The voice was dripping with anger and each word spat poison at me. Turning on my heel, I glare at the man in question. He was dressed head to toe like a pirate, a large sword dangling off his waist. Others surrounded him, must be the rest of the crew. The young man did not look like a captain, no hat to prove so. "Sir, you cannot tell me who I am allowed to go to!" I yell back insuring the poison was forced back. I continue on to Gabriel and take his hand. His arm snakes around my waist and pulls me close, he looks to the young man who scowls at us. "Now, that's no way to treat your brother. Is it?" The man grins at me.

Covering my mouth in shock and look closely at him. It was indeed my Johnathan. Gabriel holds me closer as Johnathan and the crew walk into the room more, terrified guests stepping back. Johnathan smirks looking around. "Listen closely! My captain will be taking over this little town for a bit. Anyone who goes against it, will be shot." A short looking man pulls out a gun and shoots up towards the celling. Screams ring out and everyone attempts to flee. The crew laugh and stand strong and the flood of flesh pushes past them. Gabriel grabs my hand and we run out to the garden hiding near a hedge. I stand there in complete shock as Gabriel holds me, stroking my hair and kissing my head. It was true...my brother. The little boy I had grown up with. The one who protected me. Was now a filthy criminal. My dear Johnathan...why?