Seventeen

Kaelin

I remember one time in hockey I was smashed into the boards by a boy twice my size. My entire world froze as I fell to the ice. I could not create a single thought. Right now feels exactly the same. I can't speak. I can't move. I'm simply stuck in this moment. Alessia is-she's... She is the little sister I never had. I was supposed to protect her... We all were.

"What the hell happened!?" Hannah asks.

"We don't have time for that right now!" Ayden grabs my arm and Hannah's arm and pulls us with her towards the door. My body is still numb from absolute shock.

"Where are you guys going?" One of the hockey boys yells from their small group by the lockers. We ignore him and continue speed walking to the front doors.

I want to scream in frustration when Axel, Ethan and Nolan get in our way. To my annoyance, Ayden comes to a stop right in front of them.

"Where are you girls going?" Axel asks while stepping closer to Ayden. She stands her ground, but her right hand starts to twitch like it does when she's nervous. Oh. My. Goodness. Ayden has a crush on Axel.

Hannah, however, is seething. "We're going to it's none of your fucking business." She steps closer to Ethan. "Now get the fuck out of our way before I cut your balls off and shove them down your throat." He smirks down at her cruelly.

"Tell us where, and you can go." Ethan says stepping even closer to Hannah.

Fuck it. I kick Ethan in the balls and shove Nolan out my way. Sprinting, the girls and I fly out of the doors. I can hear Ethan groan behind us but I don't stop.

Alessia.

The hospital is two kilometres from our school. The girls and I ran all the way there, our adrenaline course through our veins like fuel on fire. My heart is pounding furiously, wondering what the hell happened we to our young friend.

I smash through the hospital doors and nearly slam into the front desk. The receptionist is started, her head snapping up as three heavy breathing teenage girls invade her front doors. I don't blame her, if I was 60 years old and praying for retirement, a group of crazy eyed teenagers smashing through the doors would scare the shit out of me.

"Alessia White. What room?" I say while trying to catch my breath. Hannah is breathing heavily through her nose, but other than that she doesn't even look tired. What a fucking exercise addict.

"Who are you?" She asks, while looking through her computer. "I can't let you in unless you're family."

"FUCK YOU LADY!" Ayden screams. Hannah and I both look over at her. She gives us a quick smile and hands Hannah a small slip of paper. She points to a hallway on our left before continuing to scream profanities at the receptionist. Hannah and I slowly sneak away until Ayden's screams become distant echoes.

Hannah stops at a wooden door. "This is it; 154." Her face is somber, and suddenly I, not sure if I can bear to see Alessia.

Hannah slowly nudges the door open. I follow her into the room.

Alessia is on the bed, swathed in blankets. Her left eye is black and swollen, and her cheek is a sickening purple colour.

"Alessia?" I whisper, walking up to her. Her good eye cracks open and her face spreads into a weak smile.

"Hey," she sits up slowly. "Can you pass me my water?" She points to a styrofoam cup filled with water. I reach over and pass it to her.