Four

Kaelin

"Hey, you stole my phone." I say while poking his muscular chest. "If you're not in the goalie gear by the time I get back I'm not playing." With that I hop over his window frame and over the railing of his balcony. I push through my balcony doors without looking back.

Now, what to wear for hockey? I end up choosing a grey shirt and ripped denim shorts. I leave my hair as it is and lace up my sneakers. Okay, I'm ready.

My hockey stick is leaned against wall beside the door. It has black tape on the silver and blue stick. I love it. My team and I all have matching sticks.

Grabbing my hockey stick, I swing open the door. There, on the road, is a very depressed looking Nolan in full goalie gear. The net is already set up.

"What took you so long?" He groans while running a hand through his hair, the goalie mask in his hand.

"What took you so long?" I mock in a girly voice.

"Ass."

"Asshole."

"Let's just play." He says while swinging the helmet onto his head. I grin. I'll show this ass just who he's dealing with. The puck sits comfortably on the end of my stick.

"Ready?" I ask. He mutters a few curse words before nodding.

I know he expects me to stick handle and do all sorts of fancy things by the way he stands not quite ready to move for a shot. I wind up and slap shot the puck. Top shelf.

"Hey that wasn't fair!" He yells in frustration.

"Be ready for anything." I snicker. He shoots the puck back out to me. This time I maneuver around him so well that he falls. I easily flick the puck up and over his pads.

"You know," I laugh. "You really suck at being a goalie."

"I'm a centre, not a goalie." He spits and pulls the helmet off. His face, so tan in the faint dusk light. Why does he have to be so damn attractive? He runs a hand through his hair while smirking at me.

"Good, because you're horse shit at being goalie." I snicker. He glares daggers at me.

"What do you play? You're so worthless at it I forgot." He says.

"I'm a defence man, and I do recall scoring two goals on your team last time we played." I say with a slight smile and lean on my stick.

"You got lucky, our goalie was injured." He says.

"Whatever gets you to sleep at night." I retort.

//

We've been playing for hours. I'm exhausted. I sigh and plop down on the curb. Nolan brings the net to the side of the road. He pulls off all of the goalie gear before sitting down beside me.

The stars are beautiful tonight. Shining bright and through the musty city pollution.

Suddenly, I'm very tired. The nap may have helped me somewhat, but I'm just dead exhausted now. I run a hand through my hair and swallow my pride.

Nolan isn't such a bad guy. I mean, we still harassed and laughed at one another, but it felt light. We weren't trying to hurt each other's feelings after awhile. We just wanted to make the other laugh.

Before I can lean on Nolan, he pulls me onto his lap sideways and rests my head on his chest. I try to lightly push him away, but he just laughs and holds me tighter. I'm to tired now to fight back. I yawn and place my head more comfortably on his chest.