→ d i x - s e p t

Start from the beginning

“I missed you more, daddy, so so much. Happy new year.”

“Happy new year, baby.” He replies, offering me a big smile.

“I thought we were supposed to pick you up.” I question, pulling him into my room.

He raises a brow, “Your mom said you locked yourself in and she knocked for sometime and obviously you didn't respond, though you told her you wanted to lie down for a while. Did you have on headphones or something?”

Laughing, I tell him no.

“Dad it's just how I sleep. Really. Plus I was so fatigued.”

“Hmmm.. Okay then. To answer your earlier question, I texted your mom, telling her not to bother about coming down to pick me up at the airport because I was already taking an Uber down here. My flight was earlier.”

“Oh.. Well, thank God you arrived safely.”

He nods, “Yes. Well, what about the locked door? Are you positive you're okay baby?” He asks whilst moving to sit at the foot of my bed.

I avert his gaze for a moment before returning to meet it.

“I'm fine, dad. Just didn't want any disturbances from downstairs… Plus they were leaving soon too, incase I couldn't come down to lock the entrance door.”

“Simi, there's a gate out there that is always monitored by a security personnel. You still could've easily shut your door without having to lock it. It's also soundproof you know.”

I can't help the pout that forms on my lips as I try to launch an argument. “Dad —”

“Okay, okay. Fine. I'll let it go, for now. I just want to make sure you're okay.”

Smiling slightly, I reply, “I'm fine, dad. Even better whilst you're here.”

“Sweet.. Because you're going to love me more now. Go look in the hallway, by the ironing board.” He says, rubbing his palms together and grinning. It's creepy and cute at the same time.

Did you just call your dad cute?

Shoot me.

I just look at him suspiciously.

“Come on! Move!” He orders and literally shoves me out of the room.

A Few Minutes Later…

“Seen it yet?” He asks from inside my room.

“Oh my goodness! Dad!” I scream whilst running back into my room.

“What's the matter, Simi?!” Mom yells from their room.

I stop in my tracks and move closer to my parent's room's door, “Dad just got me the Puma Fentys I've been coveting for months mom!

I practically leap back into my room and tackle dad with a really big bear hug. “Love you so much, dad. Thank you! Honestly.”

Mom comes into the room shortly, “Jide, I've warned you to stop trying to turn our daughter into another son! She should be wearing pretty dresses and matching heels, I told you to get her stilettos!”

What the hell mom?

I eye mom and very painfully, trust me, say “How am I supposed to walk in those? They're so uncomfortable!”

“You're seriously lacking heels, young lady. You need to act your sex.

Seriously?

“I've five pairs, mom. Five!”

She attempts an eye roll, laughing my ass off!  And looks at my wonderful father who's now looking apologetically at me.

“Fine. Next time, stilettos it is.”

I groan loudly and dad bursts out laughing whilst mom is still trying to keep up the ‘stern’ façade.

“The sneakers are quite pretty though.” She finally concedes, walking over to hold one.

“Fentys, mom. They're Puma Fentys.”

“Oh whatever. I guess I could wear then when I visit the gym?” She begs, smiling at me and I almost fall for it but…

“Nice try, mom.”

“Oh well,” She shrugs, “it was worth a shot.”

I chuckle and clutch the box to myself after collecting the other pair from her, of course. Dad just stands there observing, laughing and shaking his head.

“Let's go out for lunch, ladies. I'll inform Tayo and Lola on my way down —”

“You need to shower first, Jide.”

“Oh c’mon! The flight down here lasted for only a few hours.”

“Jide.” She cautions and gives him a look. Dad just sighs.

“Fine.. Fine. As you please, woman.”

I just shake my head at their banter as they both start to head out, then I hear dad mumble some words that sound like –painintheasssometimes and that earns him a swat on his left arm.

Oh mom.

I can't help myself from laughing before muffling it with my hands. Moments like this just make me feel very thankful for this family I'm blessed to be a part of and think that maybe, just maybe… my life isn't that bad after all.