Chapter 19

I’m never one to usually crack but soon as those words left Nathan’s lips, I felt myself come undone. I felt the walls I built since the night I left crumbling down. My body stiffened at the words, not knowing what to do or who to look at. From the corner of my eye, I saw Jay’s gaze averting between me and Nathan. Nathan, on the other hand, was still staring hard at the table.

“I…I…,” I tried finding the right words to say, my focus straight ahead. “I… umm, nevermind, you have a couple of fans to see you,” the two girls who were jumping about and giggling, waiting to step up to the table. I internally rolled my eyes and gave a curt nod to the girls and excused myself from the table.

I hurriedly walked out of the café, not wanting to cry in public or make a fool of myself. I started walking down the familiar streets of London, back home. I needed some time, my heart felt like it’s been ripped open and I swear to god, it hurts.

Soon as I reached the apartment building, I ran up the stairs and up I went, wiping tears that were already falling. Reasons unknown even to me; I ended up in front of the charming brown, Mahogany door. I wasn’t banging the door but I wasn’t likely knocking either.

“Woah..woah.. what the hell..” the familiar Irish accent hitting me as he swung the door open. “WOAH! ERNY!” he yelped as soon as he saw me.

I looked up at him, my face tear stained and my body shaking. One look and I was already pulled into a tight bear hug.

“Been so long, oh my god. What’s wrong now?” he whispered as he placed his chin on top of my head.

“Nathan,” I sobbed and he pulled me away to stare into my eyes as if not believing me.

After a moment, realizing this was no lie; he took my hand and dragged me into the living room. I quietly followed, my brain too tired to reject.

“Nunu, Erny’s here,” Siva called as Nareesha stepped out of the kitchen.

“BABE!” Nareesha happily called out and then her expression changed to a solemn one, running towards me to give me a hug.

“I’ll make some tea,” Siva said soothingly as he excused himself to the kitchen.

Nareesha made me seat in a plush sofa, looking at me sympathetically.

“Been so long since we last saw you. Not expecting to finally see you in this state,” she finally stated apologetically.

I shrugged my shoulders and slumped myself into the plush couch.

“I didn’t expect things to turn out how it did, today either,” I said honestly.

Right then, Siva came in with three mugs of tea on a tray. He gave a nod of his head as if to signal for me to go on what I was saying. Taking that cue, I belted out whatever happened earlier at Starbucks. As I was telling Siva & Nareesha all that happened, I realized that I had been harsher to Jay and Nathan than they deserved. Siva and Nareesha listened attentively like the two amazing people they are, bless them.

“They were just trying, y’know,” Siva said gently after a few moments of silence.

I nodded, dumbly, knowing that I shouldn’t have let myself shut down the way I did.

“But, we understand how you feel. It will still hurt, of course. Maybe we can pick up this friendship slowly,” Nareesha offered the comforting words making me tear a bit.

“I’m… I’m sorry to be barging in the way I did,” I half smiled, honestly apologetic.

Nareesha and Siva simultaneously shook their heads.

“Never, never apologize for things like these,” Siva said firmly but smiling comfortingly.

“Thank you guys!” I cooed.

“You’re welcome, always welcome,” Nareesha smiled and gave my hand a squeeze of assurance.

Right then, there was a knock on the door and the turning of the door handle. Before I could ask Siva who it was, the door swung open and a Mancunian accent greeted us.

“SEEV! Tom & I are here!” Max yelled as he opened the door.

At the sound of “Tom”, I could hear Siva cursing under his breath as if he genuinely forgotten they were coming. I sat, stiff. Then, Max bounded into the living area first and went wide eyed.

“TOM! Mate, you can wait outside!” Max practically yelled at the top of his lungs.

But it was too late.