Chapter 6

The sun crept in between my curtains. I squinted my eyes open and rolled around the bed.

11.00am.

Damn, I was already late for my first class. It started an hour ago. I lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling and stretched for a bit. That’s it, I decided, let’s just miss all the class altogether. I felt a tinge of guilt but I couldn’t be arsed, my body felt so tired. And remembering the text from last night sure didn’t make things any better. 

Without realizing, tears were already streaming down my face. My heart ached because I missed Tom. All the good times we had definitely overruled his loyalty issues but being faithful is all that a girl can ask for.  I continued with the flashbacks and contemplated if I should reply him.

“Hey… great job in landing an audition for yourself. Seems like we both are doing okay without each other…” I typed out and fiddled with the keypad, wondering if I should hit the “send” button.  

I hit the back space button instead and retyped a whole new text.

“Hi. Congrats on that audition. Yeah a meet up would be nice…” No, no, no. Delete.

I retyped the first message again and fiddled again with the keypad. I didn’t know why I was even bothering on contemplating a reply but I just felt I owed him a reply, out of courtesy.

Just then, I heard a knock on the main door. Lazily, I got up and went to the front door and without even bothering to take a peek at the peephole, I opened it.

“ERNY!” Lea’s voice hitting me right in the face.

“Oh my god Lea! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? Oh wait, stupid question. I mean, HOW DID YOU GET HERE?” I rephrased my question, shocked.

“Can I at the very least come in, babe?” she sounded amused. “And why the hell are you still in your PJs?”

“Come in, come in, sorry. Umm, because it’s still before noon?” I ushered her in.

“What’s got into you? It’s already almost 2 in the afternoon, sweetie” Lea said, pointing at the clock on the wall.

“I was in bed, that long?!” I asked myself.

“What’s that Erny?” Lea asked, as she settled her duffel bag on the floor and herself on the couch.

“No, no nothing. I mean, I thought you were supposed to be here only at 4 something?” I asked, making myself comfortable on the other couch.

“Got an early train out with Jay and well thought of surprising you. I called your Aunt to ask for the address and well, she said you were still in bed when she left for work. I reckon you were skipping classes, hahaha” she beamed brightly and gave me the “I knew you would skip classes on a Friday” wink at the end.

“Ohhh… that’s really nice of you. Real nice surprise. Woah, woah, woah, hold up! Who’s … Jay?” I asked, puzzled and excited all at the same time.

“Well, he’s … he’s a guy I met in Nottingham when I went back to my parents’. And well, yeah…” Lea smiled shyly.

“OHMYGOD! Is this Jay guy your boyfriend?” I could hear myself squealing.

“No, Erny! Well, not yet. But we went out a couple of times. He’s real nice … and cute too,” she added. “and before you ask, he is here for some audition and well, I took the opportunity to come and meet you. Win-win,”

“Smart move, bestie,” I winked cheekily.

“Oh shut up, go get ready because believe it or not, I told Jay that he’ll be meeting you today,” Lea smirked.