Chapter 12

“ERNY KAMELLIA, GOD’S SAKE, STOP!” Tom yelled as he caught me and grabbed my arms.

From the strength he put in the tug, I spun around and faced him. I hated how he got to see the weak side of me, a mess with tears streaming down my face. Then, the moment I looked at him, I knew I wasn’t the only one broken. And that broke me.

“I don’t know what to say anymore Tom. We keep going in circles,” I mumbled as he held both my hands, staring deep into my eyes.

Tom definitely did the unthinkable. He leaned in and his lips captured mine. He lets go of my hands and held my waist, pulling me in. I reached behind his neck and pulled him closer. It was fireworks, bright displays of fireworks as the kiss went deeper.

“Does that say all there is to say?” he pulled away when we both pretty much needed air.

I smiled and leaned in for another kiss, a quick one on the lips. Then I pulled away and we leaned our foreheads together. It was unspoken but we knew it, we were definitely fighting the future battles together.

“You don’t know how mental it is to be missing you,” Tom whispered as he hugged me tightly.

I melted in his warm hands and rested my head on his shoulders. I took in the surrounding and almost jolted at the sight.

“Tom, let me go! We’re in the middle of a street!” I giggled as I pulled away.

“Let it be,” he mumbled as he pulled me in again.

“No, people are watching,” I giggled again as I swatted his arms away.

True enough, there were a couple of by-passers just staring at us. It made me wonder how long they had been standing there. Imagine if they had actually stood there watching from the beginning, definitely embarrassing.

An old lady walked past us and mumbled, “Kids these days, got to learn to appreciate one another,”

Tom smiled at her and squeezed my hand lightly.

“Coffee?” I casually asked, feeling like a whole world just got lifted off my shoulders.

“Anywhere with you,” Tom said in a sing song voice.

“Stop being so cheesy,” I stuck my tongue out and laced my fingers in his.

-

“Tell your mum thank you for yelling at you to stop flinging that spoon at me,” Tom chuckled as we arrived at the doorstep of my house.

“HA-HA, Very funny Parker.” I rolled my eyes at him. “Sure you don’t want to come in?” I asked.

“It’s getting late. Plus, you have yet to meet the family proper. I’ll see you tomorrow,” he kissed my cheek and opened the front door for me.

“Night,” I smiled brightly as I shut the front door close.

That night, I sat in the living room, catching up with my family. It felt like it has been ages since I met them. Mum & Dad seemed genuinely happy that Tom & I were finally together. I knew Mum had always had a soft spot for him right from the very beginning but I was surprised that Dad accepted him readily this time as compared to what happened the first time.

After I read the third bedtime story for my younger sisters, I quietly left their rooms. I would have considered that as bullying but the fact I hadn’t been home to read bedtime stories, three stories was definitely a bargain.

“He was the one who used to tell those stories,” Mum smiled as she spotted me coming out from my sisters’ room.

“Who?” I yawned.

“Tom, of course. Not every night but he likes taking care of them. Your dad somehow started growing fonder of him through the months,” Mum walked to me and gave me a hug.

“But why didn’t any of you tell me?” I asked.

“Tom said you didn’t need to know. I guess he just wanted to be sure on what was going on between the two of you,” Mum shrugged. “Now that you two are together, it’ll go along fine. Good night sweetie,” she continued and gave me a peck on the forehead.

Tom definitely was a changed person. I remember the times when we used to date back then, he wouldn’t even come 10 feet radius of my house. Now, my sisters and bedtime stories. Wow.

“That’s one long day. I really need sleep,” I muttered as I crashed into my bed, smiling.

A better day awaits. With Tom.