On Edge

"In other news," the anchor woman says, "a massive virus has infected many computers around the globe. Many people claim that they are unable to even start up their laptop or computer, without coming across a snowy screen and a high pitched ringing sound that is at a frequency only few can handle. Authorities and cyber-safety activists are reminding those who can still access their computers not to open any anonymous emails or messages from those they don't know..."

As the news rambles on about not clicking ads that claim you have won 10 million dollars and so on, you shift uncomfortably on the couch.

"This makes me really nervous," you say.

Your friend, Mark, a Youtuber like you, glances your way. "I don't blame you. I don't like it either," he says.

"Is it because of our connections, or the fact that we may not be able to access our channels anymore?" Sean, also know as Jacksepticeye around the internet, asks.

"Both," you answer, knowning exactly what he is talking about.

Just a few months ago, Sean, Mark, also known as Markiplier, and a few more of your friends had finished physical therapy from injuries that occurred in what could have been a huge war. You hadn't had to go, because you had only obtained a sprained wrist, strained muscle, and brusied rib. But the others had broken bones. Matt, better identified as Matpat, had even suffered from head trauma.

Why did these injuries happen? You had been fighting against a computer virus. Yeah, that sounds weird, but it happened. These viruses were created by none other than your own fanbases, with the exception of one. Antisepticeye, Darkiplier, and Natemare. The three of them haunted your nightmares to this day.

"They really traumatized you, huh?" Says Felix, or Pewdiepie, as his fans call him.

"You'd be traumatized too, if you were attacked by your own evil twin," Sean comments.

"I can't even imagine." That comes from Dan, otherwise known online as DanTDM.

The five of you are in L.A. to do a multi-collaborative video with Mark. Matt and Nate are coming later. You're  supposed to start filming that night. Just to be safe, none of you have gone near any of Mark's computers or your own laptops. Ever since finding out about the virus, Mark had only kept one computer on, and that was only when he needed to post something or check an email.

"I don't know, I thought for sure we got rid of them last time," you say.

"So, shouldn't they be gone then?" Dan asks. Oh, if he only knew.

"Well, that's the problem," Mark says, as he flopped next to you on the couch. "The fandoms really like the 'alter egos' thing, and they're getting a little tired of Wilfrod Warfstache. They want Darkiplier."

"And Antisepticeye," Sean puts in. "Dr. Schneeplestein can only go so far."

"I don't really have any alter egos, but--" you start, then pause.

All eyes turn to you. Even Felix and Dan look eager for you to finish.

"But, what?" Mark asks.

"I don't-" you shift, suddenly getting worked up. "I don't know how, but--somehow, a picture of Void got out. It looked like a fanart. I don't know who made it, or where it came from...or how they even knew what Void looked like."

"I'm sorry, who is Void?" Felix asks.

You look at Mark and Sean, unsure of how to explain. "Void was--what I believe was a glitch. She wasn't a virus, she didn't infect anything, but--she looked like me. It was as if she was a virus, but Anti and Dark, somehow made her."

"The scary thing is, she was an exact replica of (y/n)," Sean says, crossing his arms. "How they did it, I have no idea."

"But the question is, how did people know so much about her?" You ask. "Sure, I mentioned her in our explanation video, but her clothes and hair were spot-on. And she had all these cuts and bruises on her body...and this image was exact. I never said anything about those details. I even checked after I saw the picture."

"When did this happen?" Mark asks.

"A couple of weeks ago," you reluctantly. "I didn't think it was going to matter, but the virus started getting serious just a few days after. I don't know what's going on..."

There is a moment of silence, and it's enough to push some tears to your eyes.

"You guys keep saying 'was,' " Dan says. "Are they...dead?"

"Yeah, what do you mean by that?" Felix questions.

You exchange glances with Sean and Mark again. Mark is the one to explain.

"We got rid of all of them when we destroyed the computer," he says. "You can't have the virus if you don't have the software. We cut off the source."

"Void was actually killed when Matt shot her with an anti-virus arrow," you add.

Dan and Felix display very similar, confused expressions. When you see them, you say, "You know what? Nevermind. It's really hard to explain."

"I think it's time to get food," Mark suggests. He gets up from the couch and stretches. "Amy and the others will be here soon to set up for the video."