CHAPTER 22

The Saint Charles arrived at the target destination twenty minutes later. Tony hustled up to the bow and dropped the anchor into the black water, and then joined Jake on the stern, appearing jacked up, ready for the thrill of a night dive. His eyes danced, alert and aware of the danger lurking beneath the surface.

He cracked his knuckles. "How deep is it here?"

"Fifty-three feet."

"Awesome." He glanced at Jake. "You're not having second thoughts, are you?"

"The dive itself, no, but that monster fish down there concerns me."

Sarah appeared from the wheelhouse, having changed into her wet suit. She clunked a hefty air tank on the deck. "Time to gear up, boys."

The men complied with her command and were ready in less than ten minutes.

Jake took the time to help Sarah hoist an oxygen tank on her back. A harness secured the canister to her buoyancy compensator vest. With the help, she slid her arms through the holes and fastened the three buckles. She returned the favor, and despite a few hiccups, it pleased Jake that her attitude toward him had made a hundred and eighty degree turn in the last twenty-four hours. Maybe she would come around and actually believe he never slept with Rachel?

He stood next to Sarah and stared at the water, his fingers wandering up to the cross around his neck.

"You're scared, aren't you?"

"No." Jake's response flew off his tongue a little too fast.

"I see you still have it."

He noticed his grip on the necklace.

"I know your mom gave it to you when you were young, but do you really think it can protect you from the perils of life?"

"I don't know what I believe, Sarah."

"Nothing personal, I just don't get it."

His tone heated a degree. "My father gave it to her as a gift when she was pregnant with me."

"I know, but―"

"It's nothing," he unhooked the clasp, removed the necklace and turned from her, "just a good luck charm. I didn't have plans to wear it on the dive, anyway." He entered the wheelhouse and hung the keepsake over the throttle handle. For a long moment, he beheld it, wondering what made him keep it all these years. Then he left the cabin and returned to Sarah's side.

She gazed at him, her sapphire eyes glistening in the moonlight. "I was just gonna say—"

"At it again." Tony sized them up. "When are you two going to release some of this tension and make-out all ready?"

"Did that earlier today. Didn't work," Jake said, buckling the final strap on his vest.

The same eyes that looked at him with compassion a minute ago, now burned with fire. Sarah ground her teeth, hesitated like she wanted to strike back, but didn't. "I think we need to get moving."

No one offered an objection, so they hit the water one at a time.

Jake was the last one to leave the boat. The swells lacked the tranquility of clear turquoise as in the daytime. At night, the waves resembled an inky abyss, as if he were staring into the blackness of a mythological underworld. Lunar light bounced off the surface, failing to penetrate the sea. He paused, knowing what was down there, and against his better judgment, dropped over the edge.