"Of course I can Buck and I know you can't and it's not your fault but it was his first ever day of school. That's a huge milestone and even though he knew you couldn't be here he was really hoping for and looking forward to at least a phone call," I say unimpressed.

There is silence on the other end for a few seconds.

"What was he like?" He asks and I can hear how guilty he feels.

"Disappointed I'm not going to lie." I sigh. "But don't worry, once he got to school he was too distracted by nerves to think about it."

I nearly wince at my own words they sting that much just to say let alone be told.

"I'm sorry," he says glumly. "I don't know what else I can say."

"I know you are, it's just frustrating," I explain. "I'm sorry for getting snappy."

"It's okay you've got every right to be. But I've got some good news," he says.

"Oh? What's that?" I ask, perking up curiously.

"I'm coming home tonight," he says and I can just imagine the smile on his face.

"Really?!" I gasp excitedly.

"Yep." He chuckles. "Does that get me out of the dog box?"

"Yes! Yes! Yes! Bucky that's amazing! Oh my god! Alex is going to be so happy!" I exclaim, unable to stop myself from absolutely beaming.

"Good. I can't wait to see you both. I really miss you guys," he says and I can't help but notice how tired he sounds.

His voice is so rough and low and exhausted.

"I miss you so much." You agree. "This is the longest you've been away in ages."

"Three weeks." He huffs.

I nod and bite my lip, gripping the phone close to my ear as if it were actually him. "It feels like even longer," I say sadly. "What time do you think you'll be home?"

"Probably not until around seven, we won't be able to get away until late afternoon," he says.

"That's okay. Just in time for dinner. Anything you feel like in particular?" I ask.

"Whatever is easiest honestly. I haven't missed out at all the last few weeks so don't worry about me. Stark has had his personal chefs cooking our meals whenever we've been around and had time so they've been more than enough to make up for the meals we missed out on." He laughs breathily.

"Good. I'll let Alex pick then," I suggest. "Oh man I can't wait, he's going to be so excited to see you."

"Yeah," he says hesitantly. "Has he been asking much while I've been away this time? And did you talk to the teacher yet? About... you know?"

"Not really, he's been too distracted with getting organised for starting school. He just keeps saying he misses you and wishes you were here as per usual. And no, not yet, I didn't have time. I'll see if I can do it when I go to pick him up this afternoon," I say stressed. "Actually speaking of time, I've got to get to work sorry. I'm already running late and I've got to leave early too."