Chapter 13

A few  nights later....

      Joline was sitting in her room  with her books sprawled everywhere. She needed desperatley to find some answers. It was gnawing at her like a sewer rat. She was bound and determined to figure out what these dreams were about. Perhaps the old man was her guardian angel? It was possible. She wondered exactly what did he mean by seeing in more than one reality? It sounded absolutley crazy to her. Did other people have this gift or was she just a weirdo? Shaking her head, the young girl was more confused now than ever. Were people supposed to see in more than one dimension? What did the old guy mean by be careful? Was her gift life threatening? It scared her, but the desire to know the truth out weighed her fears. 

       What if she was just suffering a mental illness? She was already obsessing over the whole thing. Maybe she had OCD? She knew that wasn't it. She closed her eyes and took a long deep breath. There was an explanation for it but it didn't mean it was a logical one. She couldn't shake the feeling that it had to do with mental illness or some kind of illness. 

"Come on, think outside the box. You can figure this whole thing out. Just think." She told herself. 

As the late night progressed, the girl nodded off without realizing it. Soon as she fell into a deep sleep, the dreams had began once more. Again there she saw the old dock and the guy fishing. She walked up to him.

"You again?" He asked her.

"Yes, it's me." She replied.

"What do you want?" He asked.

"I think i'm dreaming."

"How do you know that this isn't your reality and your reality isn't just a long ongoing dream?" He asked her.

"I never thought of it that way before." She replied with a puzzled look.

"That's the problem. Think of things in a different way, kid." He told her.

"Is that why I haven't figured out the gift?" She asked him.

He said nothing but winked at her. 

Then she woke to the sound of her alarm. She slapped the button on her alarm clock radio and threw her pillow in frustration. She knew she was so close but couldn't quite figure it out. The whole thing was enough to drive a person psychotic. She knew that she couldn't go back to sleep she had school to deal with, even though she'd rather not. She didn't hate high school it was just so mind numbing. It felt like that institution was sucking the intelligence right out of her. 

She got up dragging her feet to her closet and threw on the first thing she could find that looked normal. She grabbed her book bag and headed down the stairs. When she reached the kitchen her mother was brewing coffee.

"Morning sweetie." Her mother told her.

"Morning mom." 

"You do know there's no school today." She told her only daughter.

"What?" She replied.

"It's teachers in service or something." Her mother told her.

"Cool. Thanks mom." She replied, glad to go back to her real studying as she grabbed a coke and ran back up the stairs to her room.

"Thank goodness for small favors." She told the empty bedroom.