10. cardboard boxes

i watched tae fidget with the packing tape from the other side of the room, tongue peeking out of his mouth in concentration. "i still can't comprehend that you're going to have to leave soon, billie." i kept my eyes on tae's fingers that frantically pulled and picked at the tape that he so badly wanted to tear. "i'm going to miss y- tae, do you need help? it's starting to make me feel frustrated for you." 

he shook his head, not removing his eyes from the tape. his expression never changed. billie stared at him as well, holding a pile of her books loosely in her arms, hair pulled up into the messiest bun i'd ever seen. she shook her head before placing the books gently into an empty box that tae had taped the bottom of earlier. "i have to, dan. my family misses me. i'm going to miss you guys, obviously, but i've really been missing my older brother. you understand, right?" 

i nodded. "i know. you deserve to be with your real family." 

the shout that suddenly escaped tae's throat made both billie and i jump in surprise. he had finally gotten the tape to rip off, but he swore as he realized that the sides of the tape had gotten stuck together in his random fit of excitement. he tried to throw the tape down, but the piece was stuck to his finger. he shook his hand aggressively yet the tape stayed. he groaned. "i hate this tape." 

billie chuckled. "poor tae. here, let me help you." she got up from her bed, stepping over boxes and piles of things that were yet to be packed. she reached her hand out and gestured to the roll of tape that was now sitting next to tae's knee. he handed it to her with his left hand as he tried to pull the tape off of his finger with his teeth.

billie placed one end of the tape on the box, pulling it along until it reached the other side. she pressed her nail against the tape and yanked it upward. the tape was torn and the box was closed up. "there. dan, label it before tae gets to the marker. we don't need the child drawing on himself or something."

tae frowned. "i'm older than you." 

"yeah, by a year but that doesn't mean anything," she said, sitting back on her bed and tossing yet another pile of books into the box. "hey, dan, when are connor and phil getting here? they said they would help pack but i don't see them anywhere and we're almost at a stopping point." 

 i shrugged. "they probably didn't want to help pack because it sucks so decided to come later for the movies and food and other such things that come after. i would do the same thing but i've known you a lot longer and you're practically my sister so i thought i might as well come help and spend as much time with you as possible before you leave. i don't know why tae was so eager to help. it's almost like he wants you to leave." 

"i really hope you're joking." tae spoke slowly, tossing the small piece of tape that had gotten stuck to his finger into the waste bin. "because i really don't want her to go." 

billie itched the tip of her nose, looking around her room for something. "there!" she shot up from her bed, grabbing a thrasher sweatshirt from a pile of clothes on her floor. "take this. dan already has one of my sweatshirts. i've also got photos to give to you guys just because i don't have any of us together." 

tae held the sweatshirt tightly in his hands, staring at billie if she had just given him her firstborn child. "but, uh. but you love this sweatshirt." 

billie shrugged. "i also loved the sweatshirt i gave dan but he refused to give it back. plus i can probably just save up enough money to get a new one. 'tis alright young one who is older than me."