5. yummy

billie had suggested i hang out with connor more, so that's exactly what was going on right now. billie was in between me and connor on the couch, sprawled out across her laps and scrolling through her twitter feed. except there was one difference. 

billie had dragged my beanbag out into to the living room. and phil was sitting in it.

i didn't have a single problem with phil. he was a nice guy and very sweet and attractive, but the fact that he remembered who i am made me feel awkward around him. (it was also awkward because of the text billie had sent them. that took a lot of explaining, and phil was still scarred.)

my legs were crossed and my phone was sat upon billie's stomach as i scrolled through my different apps, hoping to find something to distract me from the blue-eyed boy sitting across from me. connor was looking back and forth between me and phil. the silence was killer.

luckily, connor decided to break the ice with a cough. "so, uh, how is phil?"

"um, i'm good," phil said, tapping a finger against his knee. "how's dan?"

my head had never snapped up faster. "what?" 

billie chuckled from beside me. "he asked how you are." she set her phone down beside her and sat up a little more. she smirked at me. "do you not like when people how you're doing?" 

"no." i just wasn't expecting him to talk to me. i cleared my throat. "i'm fine. doing well. feeling a bit...awkward." 

phil raised his eyebrows. "what is making you feel awkward?" 

"oh, shut it," i snapped. "it's not like you're feeling completely comfortable."

phil nodded. "fair enough."

billie started laughing. "oh my- are you guys- you guys are so dramatic. dan, get over the fact that phil knows because he clearly doesn't hate you for it. and phil, you better believe that i sent that strange message through dan's phone. friends tend to do that a lot. get over it, because you're going to be seeing that a lot." 

phil frowned. "it makes me feel uncomfortable when you say those things, though." he sank farther into the beanbag. "i don't really want to see that anymore than i have to, so please. don't send that again." 

billie shrugged. "whatever you say, princess." 

"yo, let me up," i said, whacking billie's arm. "i'm gonna go make quiche. if any of you plebs wanna help, feel free to join." 

connor perked up. "i'll help! billie, move your legs for a second, i'm gonna help make quiche!" 

billie moved to lay on the back of the couch. "go help them, philly boy. it might help you feel less awkward." phil stood up, grumbling something about 'only feeling more awkward before following us into the kitchen.

i started making the crust, batter sticking to my hands occasionally. i grunted and pointed at connor with a sticky hand. "grab a pan. phil, you make the mushrooms. all you gotta do is cook 'em 'til they're yummy." 

phil frowned. "that's great, but how long exactly do i cook them for?" 

billie entered the kitchen, sitting on a counter that wasn't occupied by us. she flicked phil's ear gently. "'til they're yummy."