Chapter Thirty

"Louis, calm her down."

I say in a hushed voice.

We sneak our way through the cells, afraid one prisoner would ruin our escape. Anastacia trips and trembles as we tiptoe our way out.

I carefully peep through a hole in the dungeon's exit and see that the two guards guarding the prison were beaten and knocked out. Louis slowly opens the door and it creaks open. The field outside shows no sign of any guards patrolling the area, nor any people walking in the distance.

"It's a fight night."

I turn my head and look at Louis, eyebrows raised.

"Men are selected to have a duel. One wins, one dies."

"And what happens to the man who wins?"

He shrugs, looking around.

"I don't know, I usually stay away from these fights."

Anastacia was standing quietly, wrapped beneath Louis' protective arm. She looks at the stars in admiration, her lips slightly parted from amazement.

"Beautiful..."

I look at her in pity before signaling for them to walk while there was no one there.

We hide in the shadows and walk side by side through the pack borders cautiously, avoiding the drunk guards and head deeper down the woods.

"Where would we go?"

I ask Louis.

He continues to keep his head down and walk, clutching his stomach's wound.

"If your memories resurface, then we could go to your old pack."

Anastacia quietly answers keeping her eyes set on the dirt path.

"I called your mate once."

Louis mutters softly.

"What?"

"Do you remember him?"

Louis hopefully looks at me.

I smile sadly.

"All I remember is his name and his eyes."

Louis seemed satisfied with my answer and keeps his head back on the path.

We walk for hours until Louis started hyperventilating while clutching his stomach. Anastacia tends to Louis' wounds while I look around for things that we could use.

I gather some branches I found along the way and place it near open air. Anastacia works on the fire while I do another check on Louis's wounds. He attempts to stand up and help but I force him to sit back down.

"You need rest."

He grunts in reply and leans his back on a tree.

"I remember Dale."

Anastacia lights the fire and sits across me, resting her head on her knees.

"The time he touched me while I was helplessly chained to a wall."

I yawn and rub my tired eyes.

"And the time he banged my head against the wall."

I wince at the memory.

I turn to Louis to see him looking back at me.

"What do you mean you called my mate?"

"Hours before you entered Dale's office, I called your mate and told him that I may have found his lost mate."