"I―"

"Don't worry about it. I'm sure you have your reasons." He leaned against the desk and studied her for a few seconds. Sunlight streamed in behind her. Reddish coral-colored drapes framed the windows like bookends. "I'm not the monster you make me out to be. You never gave me a chance to explain what happened that night."

"What could you say now that I didn't see then? I saw her half-naked body and you shoving her out the front door."

"But what you didn't see was me on the couch all night, by myself, where I passed out drunk. I understand you were upset; you had every right to be. I shouldn't have taken her home with me. But you―"

"What did I do?"

"At the company anniversary party, you wouldn't listen to me. You were always too busy, work first, me last. So after you left, after our fight, yes, I had too much to drink and a certain young woman took an interest in me. What was I supposed to do?"

"Tell her no."

"I was going to ask you to marry me that night." A sudden silence filled the room. Jake stared at her, wondering if his previous assumption at the police station was correct. Did she still love him? He reached out and touched her hand.

Sarah pulled away. "And I'm supposed to believe you didn't sleep with Rachel."

"I told you, I spent all night on the couch. She took the bed, we were drunk. When I woke up, I realized how screwed I was, so I rushed her out the door. I wanted to get her out of the house before you showed up."

Sarah's face paled, eyes grew distant. She shook her head. "I don't know what to believe anymore."

Jake sensed he'd pushed too hard too soon. He had her thinking about it, which was good. Baby steps, he told himself. "You know what? It's the past. Forget about it." He eased up from the edge of the desk. "How are you doing this morning? That's the question that needs to be asked."

He hoped to get a genuine response and not some bull contrived to mask her true feelings. "If I were in your shoes, last night would have shaken me up, too."

"I'm okay," Sarah said. Hollowness filled her voice, as if she could barely speak the words.

"Well, from what I heard, Ben was a cutup. Quite a character."

"He was so young." Sarah turned away, giving Jake a side profile of her face. The light from the lamp revealed a well of tears.

"At least he died doing what he loved." He figured by the emotion involved with the subject of Ben, he needed to wrap this portion of the conversation up and move on to a lighter topic. "I know we've had our problems, but maybe we could work through all this and at least be friends. We work together after all. No pressure. Just know I'm here if you need me."

Sarah seemed unsure. Her gaze combed over him.

"You can't let a guy sleep, can you?" Tony materialized from thin air behind them.

"It's twenty-five after nine," Sarah said without looking his way. She wiped the back of her hand across her eyes and sniffed. Then she turned and said with a weak smile, "I've been working on my report since seven. You should have gotten plenty of sleep."

"Had a late one last night," he replied mid yawn.

Sarah stood, tugged her shorts closer to her knees, seemed to gather herself. "Point taken, but as bad as I hate to spoil your day of leisure, I have a problem that needs a remedy."

"What's that?" Jake asked.

"What do you think it is?" Sarah waved an arm over her wardrobe. She still wore the same pair of khaki shorts and teal tank top that was pressed under her wetsuit the day before.

"You want us to take you shopping?" Tony eyed her. "You're telling this to the guy who carried your purse last night?"

"It's the least you could do after forcing me to leave my suitcase behind."

"I guess you could use the pick-me-up," Jake said. "But breakfast first."

"It'll be brunch by the time we eat."

"Call it what you want."

"You give in way too easy," Tony said as he disappeared down the hallway.

A smile creased Sarah's face, but it vanished quickly.

She disassembled the laptop accessories and stuffed them into her case. Jake watched her insert the power cable. As he walked off, he hesitated when she glanced back at him. For a second, he saw compassion in her eyes, but then she looked away.