Chapter 13: Midnight

It's the day before the girls release their self-title album, Fifth Harmony, and they are scheduled to do an international press junket. They are also doing a Snapchat Takeover for Beats, where they make videos on the account's Snapchat throughout the day. They have booked a board room in a hotel to conduct their business. When they arrive to the hotel, Tara runs down the line-up of interviews for the girls once more. She lists off Ash London, POPline, Radio Topp 40, Groove TV, among others.

"Mani, are you listening?" Ally asks, nudging a gazing Normani.

"Yes, mom," Normani whispers to Ally, and they share a quiet laugh. Normani closes her eyes for a second and turns her head to hide a yawn. Dinah takes notice. As they make their way over to the couch she lightly tugs on Normani's elbow.

"You want a slice of my orange?" Dinah asks.

"Yeah. Thanks," Normani accepts.

They take their seats on the couch—Ally, Dinah, Normani, Lauren—and get ready to chat with TV Groove from Japan. They are asked "What is your addiction this year?"

Staring at each other the whole time, Normani and Dinah offer their answers. Normani's legs are turned towards Dinah.

Normani starts, "I love to dance. That was my first passion. That's where I feel like I'm most understood."

Dinah nods, listening intently.

Normani continues, "Music, of course. I love to write. And I also wanna get into acting, and film work, too... and I love to eat!"

Dinah smiles at Normani and starts, "I love piano. I do want to progress in that. That was one of my first instruments that I've ever played. I mean, I have big hands. I gotta make use of them."

Normani's eyes get wide and she looks away from Dinah for the first time since she started talking. She smiles nervously into the space in front of her, not sure what to do next.

Dinah continues, "I hope to continue songwriting, because I love writing. Especially with my sisters."

Normani smiles at this and locks eyes with Dinah once again.

"I love doodling. I love drawing," Dinah says. "I'm kinda also in the arts category. And I love sushi... and green tea!"

"I don't like green tea," Normani says.

Dinah gasps, "What?! That breaks my heart... That's okay. More for me."

Normani giggles. "I don't like the taste."

Next, they sit down with Ash London.

"I feel like we've watched you girls do the whole, like... you were caterpillars—but cool caterpillars—and then there was the cocoon, and now you're just busting out of that thing."

"That is so accurate," Ally agrees.

"Revealing our true colors," Lauren adds.

Dinah starts to sing, "Trueee colors..."

Ally and Lauren join in, "That's why I love you..."

Normani just smiles awkwardly.

"Awh, frick," Dinah says, realizing she doesn't remember the rest of the words. "Me and Mani didn't know the words," she laughs.

Normani laughs into her lap, "But I knew what you were talking about."

"And now you've called the album Fifth Harmony, which I think is like, cool," Ash continues. "It's like 'We know who we are. We're bigger and we're better.'"