Chapter 11

Finally, they've made a decision.

George had no idea why has he agreed, but it's happened. They'll contact with the Brotherhood.

When he told Ringo about it, the man's eyes shone with a proudness and happiness. But the younger one kept asking himself, what was he getting into... but he was dead already, wasn't he?

Then there were days of silence — no news from Lennon and only rare meetings. And work. Infinite work. When both men practically lost their hope, they've received an urgent call.

Harrison opened the letter with trembling hands. The correspondence was under strict control, every letter checked. But there's one exception to this rule — the Inner Party's members. They had freedom in practically every aspect of life. And this letter came to George from the higher class, which made him certain that he was the first one to read it.

But still the letter was rather laconic, having only an order of arrival. Geo guessed that it won't raise any suspicions, since the Inner Party member's could explain it however they wanted. Who knew what this man'd say? Or maybe he won't say anything? He had no idea how the higher class worked exactly, only that they had more privileges, ruled their country and lived in luxury he shouldn't even dream about.

Harrison reread the letter again and again and destroyed it, just to make sure and remembered the name — Brian Epstein, director of the Ministry of Truth. He's never seen this man, only heard about him here and there.

It's alright, he said to himself. He knows what he's doing. If he is one of them...

But he felt another wave of fear, not letting him rest for most of the night. And when George finally fell asleep, he couldn't rest either, haunted by a nightmare. He was talking to Epstein, when suddenly concrete walls appeared and surrounded him, separating from Richard, separating from everything. Someone burst out laughing. George saw a camera, watching him. His lover screamed, his shouts mixed with George's and with this laugh, laugh, unceasing, hysterical laugh.

George woke up, breathing faster, but one look at the telescreen made him calm down. No emotions. Stone cold face.

The entire day passed in a blink of an eye. Propaganda materials, letters, words, it all flew through his mind without any notice. He was like a machine suspended in the void, fearing even to think, surrounded by the eyes that watched him every time. Harrison couldn't help the paranoia that took over him.

It's happening! It's really happening!, screamed some voice in his mind, but not happily excited, like this one when he kissed Ringo, rather puzzled and shocked, convinced that they were both crazy. To reduce the risk — if it was even possible to reduce it somehow — they walked alone and met at the doors of a gigantic building made of grey marble in an antique style. They looked at each other unsure when the servant let them in.

Starkey looked self-confident, which filled Harrison with an admiration — in this small man there was much more strength and courage then he would even consider in himself. George wondered if he was scared, even if only a bit.

They stepped in and gasped, hit by the sight of the splendour and luxury. Velvety rugs, intricately made furniture, marble columns, servants walking here and there and, the oddest, cleanliness. The whole house nearly shone, pure and beautiful, which could shock a common person that used to live in an omnipresent dirt.

George and Ringo stood in a long corridor, side by side, tongue-tied, waiting for someone to lead them to the personage that invited them. But... what if all of this was only a game? If this is a test of a faithfulness to the Party? If then, they failed a t-

"Welcome. I've been waiting for you," said some voice near them.

They turned back and saw a man with a surprisingly friendly face, delicately curly brown hair and thick, long nose. He was dressed in a velvety suit and smiling at them.

"Good morning," the both men said nervously.

"Brian Epstein, as you probably know. Come to my office." He pulled a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket — real cigarettes, not poor quality Victory Cigarettes — and lightened them, leading Starkey and Harrison into his office. The room was big, with a desk full of papers, two chairs, a fancy couch and a telescreen. Brian walked to it and turned the thing off — just like this.

"Y-you can turn the telescreen off?" asked Ringo.

"That's my privilege. It's not reasonable to do it for more than thirty minutes, admittedly, but still." He shrugged, taking a drag of the cigarette, offered them a wine — wine! — and looked at them, gazing into their souls. There was intelligence in his deep eyes - but also a gentleness.

"Let's not beat around the bush. You want to join the Brotherhood. I have to inform you though that you're choosing a path of no return." Epstein cleared his throat and started a recitation the list of things waiting for them after joining this forbidden group. He also made them aware of the inevitable risk. They shivered, hearing this, and felt a determination at the same time.

They weren't supposed to know other members of the organization. They were supposed to work alone and to be available even in the hardest missions. They were supposed to even die for the greater good.

George and Ringo looked at each other. They were getting into something very, very risky.

But they took the oath.

Brian nodded and sent them home, promising to be in touch.

The two lover came back full of faith that they can change the world. That they finally have a chance to fight for a better tomorrow.

George asks himself, how could he be so boundlessly stupid?

//AN: Short, shitty chapter, lack of good mood for writing, school, k, bye//