Day 5 - part two

Zacznij od początku

Should I just...

«Oi, marine girl.»

You raised your head at Heat walking over.

He looked scary, with the barbed wire-tattoos all over his toned body, the black sad eyes and his cascade of blue hair.

«The captain wants to see you.»

An iron clutch gripped around your stomach.

Without a word, you slowly followed the man to the door of the workshop. He stopped, hinting at it with his head. You searched his eyes in a dull attempt to find any trace of comfort but his gaze was unreadable.

Holding your breath, you knocked once and slipped inside. Heat closed the door behind you, making your guts sink.

The room was wide and messy. The walls were entirely covered with shelves and sideboards cluttered with any sort of working tool and metallic stuff that you weren't able to recognize.

Eustass Kid sat on the desk, fur draped on his shoulders, surrounded by tools and sketches. His gaze was focused and slightly creased as he leaned over something... familiar.

«Come closer, birdie.» he said, without raising his eyes.

You obeyed.

«What's this?» he asked, pointing to the dismantled object he was working on.

«That is... was my boot.»

Is he trying to repair it?

«A strange kind of boot.»

You were thinking fast, pondering your options. They were not that many: lying, refusing to talk, telling the truth but adjusting it a little.

You couldn't sell the Marines' secret technology to Eustass Kid, that was for sure. But, of course, he had his ways to make you talk. You had been trained but never actually tortured before. Although you were mildly sure you could die without talking, you'd rather not.

«Have you ever heard of Vegapunk?»

Finally, Kid moved his amber eyes on you. You stiffened but didn't waver.

«Yes.»

«He made those boots for me.» you explained «I am a sniper, and not a physically strong one. I need mobility more than everything. His team sent the boots over for me.»

Antigravity shoes, a prototype only used by me so far, at least among the Marines.

«I can see there is a sort of propeller here.» Kid interrupted you, tapping the end of a screwdriver on the heel «Can you fly with it?»

«More or less... it's more like jumping high and gliding down.»

He hummed, still absorbed in the gears of your item.

«Did they break during the battle against my men?»

You puckered your lips.

«Not exactly. They have been damaged for months now, I could barely use them. When Killer took down the mast and I fell on the deck, I managed to land thanks to those, but I think they got crushed worse in the impact.»

Kid nodded. He knew you were probably not lying, some of the damages he observed were old.

«Why didn't you get them repaired?»

«My query has been pending for months now. I suspect I'm not exactly high on the list of Vegapunk's priorities.»

«I see. That's why I got stuck. That fucking genius.»