EIGHT

Prince Edward took a deep breath before knocking on the large wooden door to the princesses room. There was no avoiding the conversation to come...it was now two days and counting until the princes birthday and Princess Audra has her heart set on spending the day with him. But the problem is, that is not how the prince wants to spend his birthday...he's already dreading the day as it is.

"Edward! I was wondering when you would get here," Audra said, opening the door.

"Sorry it took so long, my mother had some things for me to do this morning," Ed said, smiling at her.

"It's alright. Come in, I've got some things to show you," Audra said, moving aside so he could walk in. She closed the door behind him, rushing over to the table in the middle of the room. Prince Edward stood awkwardly by the door, he really didn't want to be doing this. "Well, what are you waiting for? Come!"

Edward sighed, forcing himself to move over to where the princess was waiting.

"Alright, so I was thinking we could go out to town for your birthday and visit the village people," Audra said, smiling brightly at her plan.

"What?" Edward asked, "you want to go out to town for my birthday?"

"Yes, don't you think the people want to see you?" The princess asked.

"I don't know, I don't think thats a very good idea, we keep celebrations like this strictly to people who live in the castle for a reason," Prince Edward told her.

"What's the reason?" Audra asked, cocking her head to the side.

"The village people can get a little...rowdy," Edward said, trying to find the perfect words to describe them.

"Well thats nothing the knights can't handle!" She said.

"No, Audra. We're not going into town," Prince Edward snapped, he was sick of her always pushing. This is his castle...his rules. She looked taken back, but she held the princes intense stare none the less. "Is that clear?" Ed asked, raising an eyebrow.

The princess rolled her eyes, flicking some hair off her shoulder, "of course."

Prince Edward sighed, "good...now I have some business to attend to in the throne room." He lied, walking towards the door.

"Alright," Audra sighed, "dinner tonight?"

Ed pursed his lips, "we'll talk," with that, he opened the door, walking out of the room. The princess was confused, what did she do to make him angry? Why didn't he want to have dinner with her?

*

Meanwhile, Prince Edward made his way out to the gardens. He smiled, seeing Kara was already there.

"You're early," the prince pointed out.

"You act surprised," Kara smiled.

"Well, you're usually late...leaving me to wait out here in the dark," Prince Edward said, looking up at the orange sky.

"That was only a few times...the castle is quite big and I got lost," Kara mumbled.

"Did you really?" Ed asked, chucking at her.

"Yes and it won't happen again," she said quietly.

"Good," he smiled, looking down at the book in her hands. "Have you finished it already?"

"Yes," she said, holding it up.