Chapter 62: The Mudblood Herself

Draco reaches the gate to the estate quicker than he expected. He hasn't run this fast since he was nearly late for his first Transfiguration lesson of eighth year. His sudden appearance sends the reporters into a frenzy as they all jump up from their portable chairs with their quills and notepads at the ready.

"Mr Malfoy, what do you know about the Potters' wedding?"

"Malfoy, how does your wife know Gwenog Jones and her daughter?"

"Sir, what do you know about Gwenog and her daughter?"

The reporters all shout at him but before they can gauge any expression from him, he disapparates to the Ministry.

He walks over to the lifts, once again pressing the button for the top floor where the Minister's office resides. Since he's the only person in this lift, he turns to face the mirror on the back wall to check himself. His shirt sleeves are still rolled up and his tie is slightly askew. He rather likes the way his shirt sleeves make his arms look so leaves them rolled as he fixes his tie, fastening the top button of his shirt before unfastening it and loosening his tie. He's nervous. His hands are shaking. He can't stand still. He's about to do the one thing he promised himself he would never do. Visit Lucius in Azkaban. He never wanted to see him again. Especially not in that place. A place he himself never wanted to step foot in. As neither a prisoner nor a visitor. Yet here he is. Riding the lift up to the Minister's office to ask him for visitation.

Pansy was right, as annoying as that is. He's too afraid and proud to visit him. He needs to put that aside, though, for the sake of himself and Hyperion. He doubts Lucius knows anything, almost confident on the matter but there's always that voice in the back of his head, asking, 'what if he does'. It can significantly lessen the amount of time it takes him and David to find his uncle. As the lift doors open on the top floor, he finds himself hoping that he doesn't regret this afterwards.

Since it's nearly eight o'clock at night and there isn't a secretary in the foyer, he hopes the Minister is still in his office and hasn't left yet. He knocks firmly on the door, waiting for an answer. He hears shuffling on the other side of the door. Nearly a minute after he knocked, the Minister finally answers.

"Please enter, Mr Malfoy."

He doesn't think too long about how he knew it was him. Since he was a member of the Order, he probably has wards all over his office. Draco enters, taking a seat opposite Minister Shacklebolt before being offered one. He'll knock on his door and call him 'Minister Shacklebolt' but he won't show him any other respect. However, he soon regrets sitting down as he can't get his legs to stop his legs from shaking. He leans forward to stop it from being noticeable.

"Let's cut to the chase, Mr Malfoy and tell me what you want from me so I can decide whether or not it's worth my time," Shacklebolt announces, leaning back in his chair, fingers steepled.

"I need to visit Lucius." He states simply, focusing his energy on not fidgeting.

To his surprise, the Minister smirks at him in amusement, smiling almost.

"Is there something funny, Minister?" He questions him defensively.

"No, of course not, Mr Malfoy. I just find it interesting." He admits, leaning forward to pick up a spare piece of parchment and a quill. After writing something for a few minutes, he slides the parchment over to him. "These are my terms." He states as he leans back into his previous position in his chair with a smirk.

Draco picks up the piece of parchment.

1. Two ceremonial dinners (2st May 2000 and 1st June 2000)