Chapter 153: Real Life Isn't So Simple

Sunday mornings are one of Scorpius' favourite times of the week. He doesn't have to go to nursery, and his parents are off work, so they can give him all their attention. Breakfast is usually eggy bread or pancakes with fruit in the garden, then they play for hours until bath time before lunch. This Sunday starts off just like any other. They've enjoyed their breakfast on a picnic blanket. His mum pushed him on the swings for ages. Then Scorpius and his dad dug a hole in the vegetable bed and planted some sweat pea seeds. However, far too soon, his dad kissed the top of his head and left them.

In confusion, Scorpius walks over to where his mum is reading a book on their bench and climbs beside her.

"Da da?" He asks.

"Daddy's going out for lunch with Alarte," his mum explains, closing her book.

"Me?"

"Oh," she pulls him onto her lap. "No, we're not going with Daddy. We're going out with Nana Granger and the kids."

Scorpius tilts his head to one side as he comprehends what 'the kids' means. Then he realises where he's heard that before. When his Grampa Granger picks him up from nursery, he asks for 'the kids'.

"E'lyn an' 'Ian?" He asks for confirmation.

His mother chuckles at his response. Scorpius doesn't know why, but his mummy's laugh is funny, so he laughs along, too.

"Yes, Evelyn and Vivian and Lauren and Craig will be there," she explains.

Scorpius nods. "Go now?" He asks excitedly.

"Soon, it's bath time first. Look at those fingers." His mummy points out.

When Scorpius looks down, he's surprised to find his hands are covered in mud.

"Baf," he agrees, climbing off his mother's lap and heading inside.

Scorpius loves bath times because he gets to play with all his toys and throw water about without getting told off by Mary, his nursery teacher. His mother follows him inside and holds his dirty hand as they climb the stairs together. While the warm water fills the bath, Scorpius chooses the toys he wants from the cupboard. It's a difficult decision, but he finally settles on the watermill, two plastic jugs and his rubber duck. He throws them in and sits on the bath mat, struggling to undress.

Once the bath is full, his mummy helps him take his clothes off, and then he jumps up and down with his arms up, wanting to be picked up. When his toes touch the warm, soapy water, he kicks his little legs, accidentally splashing his mummy.

"Thank you, Scorpius," she tells him. She must love getting splashed, so he slaps his hands against the water, spraying her with more.

His mother laughs, confirming his belief, so he continues until she asks him to stop.

"That's enough, Scorpius. Play with your toys."

He'd forgotten about his toys. Searching around, he finds his watermill, which he sticks to the wall. Grabbing the smallest jug, Scorpius fills it to the brim, then pours it through, squealing as the mill spins around, splashing water in his face. At the nursery, he has to wear an apron if he wants to play in the water tray so he doesn't get wet, but Scorpius likes getting wet, and Mary doesn't understand him when he tries to explain this to her.

While he plays, his mummy sits on a footstool beside the bath, watching him. Scorpius keeps looking back to make sure she's still there, and she's smiling every time.

"Scorpius?" Mummy calls his name, so he turns to face her. "Do you like playing in the water with your friends at nursery?" She asks.

Scorpius likes nursery because he gets to play with Evelyn and Vivian. They want all the same toys, so they do it together.