Chapter 152: He Stole It From Nursery

A week after the trial of Alphard Vale, Hermione uses her coin to call everyone to a meeting that Saturday night at the Grimmauld Place. As usual, Ginny would be taking their boys to The Burrow for dinner while the main seven met up to discuss current goings on and new information.

Despite feeling comfortable and happy with her decision to step down as leader of The Order, she began to feel guilty as the weekend came closer. She didn't want to let her friends or The Order down, but they needed to think about keeping their growing family safe.

Draco was entirely behind her, although a little disappointed about stepping down from his leadership role when they were getting closer to the takedown of Kingsley Shacklebolt. Draco wanted to be front and centre to see the look in the Minister's eyes when he realised Draco Malfoy led the charge against him.

On Saturday night, Hermione and Draco leave Scorpius in the capable hands of Mitty and walk down their long driveway. They dared not use the floo network anymore of these meetings for fear the Ministry would keep reports on the comings and goings of their fireplace. Instead, they apparate from just outside their gate - and wards - to a secluded alleyway near the Potter's residence. Neither of them mind the short walk since they very rarely get to spend time just the two of them, away from everyone else.

"Are you still going to Birmingham tomorrow?" Hermione asks as they stroll.

"Yes, Alarte's excited to have me visit. He's booked us in at a restaurant," Draco explains.

"Have you got enough muggle money to offer to pay? He's a student, and I know he just wants to treat you, but he's probably living off noodles at his flat," Hermione says.

"I went to Gringotts during my free period yesterday," he confirms. "Are you sure you'll be alright on your own?"

"I'll be fine. Mum and I are going shopping with all the kids to pick out their Halloween costumes, then we're going to carve some pumpkins," Hermione tells him.

Draco's face falls. "I wish I was coming."

"You haven't seen Alarte in ages. You'll have a great time in Birmingham, and Scorpius and I will give you a fashion show when you return."

Laughing, Draco agrees to the conditions of his absence. "So, are you going for something spooky or sexy?" He asks.

"Shut up," Hermione laughs. "My parents are coming over for the party; I'm not going to dress sexy in front of them."

"That makes sense, but maybe pick something up for afterwards," he suggests hopefully.

Hermione simply shakes her head as Grimmauld Place comes into view, and they can see Arthur and Percy standing waiting on the doorstep.

Harry offers everyone a hot beverage, as the autumnal weather has brought a chill across London, and Grimmauld Place has more draughts than windows. Harry doesn't know where the cold air comes from but assumes it has something to do with the evil that once darkened the house. Along with the cups of tea and coffee, or in Arthur's case, hot chocolate, Harry offers a plate of biscuits while they wait for George and Ron to arrive from the shop.

"How's life at the Ministry after Vale's trial?" Harry asks his father-in-law and Percy, who took a low-level position, to help The Order have more eyes within the Ministry.

"It's like it never happened. Shacklebolt wanted everything to go back to business quite quickly," Arthur explains, with a whipped cream moustache above his top lip.

"I think that's what I would prefer," Harry admitted. "This week off has gone by too quickly. I wish I had more time," he sighs.

"Use some of your paid time off and take another week," Percy suggests.