Chapter 148: Scorpius is a Natural

The weekend couldn't come soon enough for Hermione and Draco. Receiving their observation reports on Monday had left them feeling dejected and discouraged for the rest of the week. While they tried to teach with their usual spirit and motivation, most professors felt their lessons were falling flat. Individual conversations with Headmistress McGonagall had helped them feel supported. Still, the reports had been harsh and trying to develop enough lesson improvements for professors to reach higher than a Poor was proving difficult.

Hermione and Draco had both decided to spend the weekend away from everyone and in the comfort of their own home with Scorpius. Since Mitty had a day off every Saturday, they decided to start the weekend by cooking breakfast together as a family.

However, halfway through eating their scrambled eggs and bacon on toast, a large owl swoops through their open kitchen window, landing beside the apple juice.

Draco sighs deeply, "What now!" As he removed the rolled-up parchment from its large claw. He reads the front to find it addressed to both of them.

"It's probably from Mr Ahmed, replying to my letter about resuming our visits with Lucius," Hermione reminds him.

"You can read it then," Draco mumbles, passing the parchment over and returning to helping Scorpius eat his eggs so they don't end up all over their floor.

Hermione unfurls the parchment, surprised to see the crest of MACUSA at the top. She had written to President Harris a fortnight ago and impatiently awaited her reply.

"It's from MACUSA," she informs Draco as she begins to read.

President Cerys Harris

Magical Congress of the United States of America

New York

United States of America

Saturday 13th October 2001

Dear Hermione Granger and Draco Malfoy,

I wish to thank you for your letter and informing us of the troubles that have taken place in Britain over the past few weeks. The information you gained from your Death Eater liaison caught us off guard. I apologise for taking longer than expected to reply.

I would like to invite you both to MACUSA for a meeting with me to discuss this matter and some further information that has come to light since. My assistant has booked you a portkey from the Ministry of Magic to MACUSA at midday today.

I look forward to seeing you both.

President Cerys Harris

Hermione sighs, throwing the letter across the table towards Draco, "There goes our quiet weekend alone."

Draco skims the letter with a frown. "She's not asking; she's telling us to be there. It must be important."

Hermione nods, watching her son chew on a piece of bacon with his couple of teeth. "I'm not taking Scorpius. Do you think Hyperion would have him? My parents are at work, and my grandparents have their hands full with the kids."

"I'll call to ask." Draco stands, searching their surroundings for his phone, eventually finding it in the fruit bowl. Hyperion answers on the third ring. "Hi, Hyperion, how are you?"

Hermione tidies their breakfast while Draco dances around, asking his uncle to babysit their son.

"Oh, you're at work," Draco says, glancing at Hermione.

"What about his children?" She asks.

"It's just Hermione, and I have a meeting to attend, and we haven't got anyone to watch Scorpius." Draco grimaces, hating to ask his loved one for favours. "No, you don't have to close the shop. Is Abe not free? Or Arania?"