Chapter 149: It's Common Sense

It has been far too long since Hermione's hosted anything at her house, so she sets out to clean the house after asking Mitty to make her and Megan a breakfast spread. Draco busied himself with bathing and dressing Scorpius for their last-minute play date with Gregory and Augusta, who's only a few months older than him.

Draco and Scorpius kiss Hermione's cheek goodbye at quarter to nine before flooing to The Leaky Cauldron. From there, they would apparate to the Goyle's house. Hermione waits by the door to their fireplace for Megan's arrival.

Megan sits at a table for two in The Leaky Cauldron. As she sips her pumpkin juice, she stares at the fireplace, questioning what made her agree to Hermione's breakfast offer. During their visit yesterday, Megan had been feeling vulnerable and overwhelmed. The pain and emotion of President Harris' accusation was still fresh. She needed to talk to someone just to get her thoughts in order, but she hated burdening her friends. Although, she and Hermione aren't that close. Sure, they shared a dormitory in their eighth year, and their husbands are friends, but all they ever talk about is MACUSA and their plans to overthrow Kingsley. Maybe talking to someone who didn't know her well would do her good. Hermione would also be likelier to give her an honest, unbiased opinion.

As she decides not to cancel breakfast with Hermione, Draco Malfoy exits the fireplace with Scorpius on his hip. As they lock eyes, Draco smiles and walks over.

"You can head over early if you want," Draco informs her. "Hermione's been ready for half an hour."

Megan hadn't expected Hermione to put so much effort into a simple breakfast. "She didn't need to do too much."

"This is Hermione we're talking about," Draco jokes.

Megan cracks a smile. "You're right. I'll head over now."

Draco takes Scorpius out of the pub into Diagon Alley. He wanted to buy some cakes and a new toy or something for Augusta. He's not sure how these play dates should go since they are usually just visiting friends or family.

Five minutes into their trip, Scorpius starts wriggling, wanting to be down on the ground. Draco struggles for a bit longer, knowing it'll take twice as long if Scorpius walks, but gives in when they start drawing attention.

First, they visit Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes, where Scorpius picks out a set of bug toys. Despite repeatedly informing his son that the toy is for Augusta, he isn't sure Scorpius understands that he can't keep the bugs, so Draco buys two sets so they can take one home. Afterwards, they walk down to Fortescue's, who's started selling brownies. Draco picks four different flavours, chatting with Hannah and Neville as they box them up for them.

"So, how are you feeling, Hannah?" Draco asks. "Neville talks of nothing but you and the baby at work."

Neville blushes from his stool behind the counter, but Hannah smiles fondly.

"I feel better than I have in months. The sickness is no joke. Neville told me Hermione had it bad with Scorpius," Hannah says.

"Me!" Scorpius sings upon hearing his name.

"Yes, you sweetie," Hannah laughs.

"She did, mostly on a night, so she didn't sleep much. It was only the first trimester, though," Draco agrees.

"Mine was throughout my second, but I'm in my third now and feeling generally uncomfortable. The only pain comes when he kicks me in the ribs." Hannah sends a half-hearted glare at Neville.

"What do you want me to do about it?" Neville asks.

"He, you're having a boy."

"Our healer told us there's an eighty per cent accuracy, so we're going with neutral tones in the nursery, just in case, but we'll be happy either way."