Chapter 7

Third person pov

"Hokage-sama." Yoshino bowed as Shikaku and The Third entered the living room. "Ah, Mrs. Nara. No need to bow. I'm the one intruding." The Hokage said with a polite closed-eye smile. Yoshino let out a small laugh. "Nonsense! You'll always be welcome in our home. Do you want some tea?" Yoshino questioned, untying her apron. Hiruzen shook his head, his eyes sweeping across the room. A nice home. Very warm and comforting indeed. "No thank you. I'm sure you can guess why I'm here." The Hokage gave another warm smile. 

Yoshino's entire face dropped, and she looked at the ground. "Yes." She said in a soft, sad tone, shaking her head a bit. "Go get them, will you, dear?" Shikaku requested in a quiet tone. "Of course." Yoshino gave one last small bow before scurrying off through the entry way and down the hall. Hiruzen and Shikaku watched her go silently, both of them feeling oddly tense, as though something horrific were about to happen. They were both on edge after learning what was going on with Naruto.

"Another thing." Shikaku piped up. The Hokage looked up at the taller man questionably. "Sasuke Uchiha is here and... he's missing an arm. He says his parents don't know." The Nara clan head said. Hizuren's eyes widened in surprise. "W-What?! His whole arm?!" The Hokage sputtered in surprise. An entire arm?! He'd seen Sasuke only a few days ago, and he was perfectly fine. "Most of it. There's a bit of a stub left, I suppose..." Shikaku trailed off. "What happened?" The Third was absolutely flabbergasted. Just what was going on here?! "He said he tripped." Shikaku had no idea. The whole day was off canter. 

"You ate all the cheese. All of it." Shikamaru's voice came from down the hall, faintly. "It was good, believe it!" Naruto exclaimed. "But you didn't share." Sasuke whined, and you could tell he was pouting. "Well, you didn't ask." Naruto huffed, entered the living room. "Yes we did." Shikamaru and Sasuke both responded in sync, staring at the blonde with dry looks. He laughed nervously, his eyes darting left and right. "N-Not loud enough. Believe it?" He tried. The two boys shook their heads. Their Hokage deflated in response, pouting childishly.

"Hello you three." The Present Hokage greeted with a warm smile. Their heads snapped in his direction, their eyes wide. "Hokage-Sama." Shikamaru and Sasuke both bowed. Naruto just stood there staring at him dumbly. "Naruto." Sasuke hissed, pushing him down. The boy fell on his face. "What was that for, stubby?!" The boy glared at Sasuke, rubbing his now red nose. "Who're you callin' stubby, whiskers?!" Sasuke retorted with a screech, his hand and stub waving wildly about with clear anger. "Why I outta-" Shikamaru cut both of them off. "Both of you be quiet. The Hokage is here, you idiots." Shikamaru hissed. Their mouths clamped shut. The Third smiled.

"Shikaku tells me you were kicked out of the orphanage, Naruto. Is this true?" The Third's eyebrows raised. "W-What, of course not!" Naruto stuttered nervously, his eyes moving to the ground immediately. "Naruto, just because they said they'd get you if you told doesn't mean they'll be able to. It's all empty threats!" Shikamaru assured, patting his back. "Yeah! I'll beat them up before they can lay a hand on you." Sasuke assured, nodding dutifully. "But-" Shikamaru cut Naruto off again. "No buts! Tell the Hokage." He ordered. 

"Alright, maybe they kicked me out a little..." Naruto mumbled reluctantly. The Hokage frowned. "And your toe?" He questioned. "...Wrestling?" He tried, earning a whack over the head from Shikamaru. "Okay, okay, they cut it off! It's okay! It didn't barely hurt- Sasuke don't give me that look!" Naruto shrieked. "What look?! This is just my face!" The Uchiha responded hotly. "No way! Your eyes were doing that narrowing thing!" Naruto flapped his hands about. "It's called glaring." Shikamaru informed. "Yeah, that!" Naruto screeched. "Hn, well don't I have a right to? They cut off your toe! And your arms and legs, have you seen them?! Look in the mirror!" Sasuke exclaimed. "Yeah, just look at your neck, Naruto." Shikamaru patted the blonde's shoulder.

"What happened to his neck?" Shikaku asked curiously. "Nothin'." Naruto denied immediately. Shikamaru and Sasuke both glowered at him. "W-What?! There's nothin' wrong with it." Naruto defended weakly. "Good acting." Kurama commented randomly. 'I try.' The blonde responded, his hands coming up to his neck which was barely covered by the collar of his bright hoodie vest. "Just show him." Sasuke sighed, massaging his temples. "We will tackle you." Shikamaru threatened. Shikaku had never seen his son so... caring, and not lazy. He seemed so much more grown up now.

"But there ain't nothin' wrong with it!" Naruto let tears prick his eyes. The Hokage felt pity well up inside of him. "Then it shouldn't be an issue to show it." Shikamaru grumbled at the obvious flaw in Naruto's logic. "Naruto-kun, it's alright." The Hokage assured. "Y-You won't be mad?" He mumbled, his eyes downcast. "Why would I be mad?" The Hokage blinked. "Th-They said they'd get mad if I showed anyone. You're not supposed to know." The blonde told him nervously. Sasuke sighed and reached over, yanking the zipper of his vest down. The blonde let out a shriek.

The Hokage and Shikaku paled, and Yoshino choked out a sob. Etched across the front of his neck was a thick, prominent scar. It had clearly been deep. It should have been a killing blow... the fox must have kept the boy alive. "Naruto, son, who did this to you?" The Hokage crouched down, his brown eyes sad. "Yeah. We just want to talk." Shikaku growled. "It didn't hurt that bad. It's okay." Naruto forced a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. The Hokage examined the boy, from the weakening mask over his pain, to the scars covering him, and to his missing toe. The sight was absolutely heartbreaking. 

"Naruto, I want you to come with me, alright? Sasuke-kun, I need you to go home and tell your parents what happened with your arm. I'll update you later, Shikaku. Thank you for informing me." The Hokage gave a nod to Shikaku. "But Shikamaru, Sasuke and I were hangin' out!" Naruto whined. "Go with the Hokage! We can hang out later." Shikamaru eyed Sasuke, who'd gone tense. "I'll be fine." The Uchiha muttered just loud enough for the Nara boy to hear as Naruto was led out of the compound. Sasuke soon followed.

Shikamaru let out a breath of air.

Nobody suspected anything... yet.