Chapter 3 | Olivia

For the next few hours I drift in and out of consciousness

For the next few hours I drift in and out of consciousness. I don't remember much, but from what I could remember, I gathered that someone called the emergency services for us, as I have faint memories of electric blue light and a bag labeled "HEARTSTART DEFIBRILLATOR."

I dread to think what that could have been used for.

-

It takes a while, but I manage to regain full consciousness meaning I can open my eyes and finally become aware of what was happening around me. But standing up from the hospital bed I was currently in, is another issue I am not ready to face yet.

"Hello?" I whisper into the empty ward, the smell of bleach burning my nose. I realise that I have been changed into a hospital gown. Fear creeps into my body as I realise I am alone. This is the perfect setting of a horror movie, an eerie empty hospital ward, and a young vulnerable girl. But I don't have to imagine it, I am currently living in my own horror movie as I am still uninformed about where Zoe and Alfie are or what happened to them, or if they are even alive. I close my eyes and I cling on to whatever hope I have left. But I am extremely uncertain that I have it in me to go through this whole process again. My eyes begin to mist over, but I am determined to fight whatever I have to, to let me see Zoe and Alfie.

I turn around, and I wince in pain, as I notice a little tube and wire coming from my wrist. I take a breath and continue slowly. The wall behind me is fitted with a panel of buttons. I spot one labelled 'Nurse', and I don't hesitate to push it - with my other arm of course. The button emits a little buzzing noise, and a red light comes on hopefully meaning someone has received the alert. While I wait for a response, I investigate the small wooden set of drawers placed next to my bed.

It's like Christmas.

My old clothes appear washed and are folded and bagged, and laying on top of them is my phone. How long have I been unconscious for? I pick up my phone and rapidly press the home button. But it's no use, as a little notice comes on the screen with a charger and red flashing battery. It's dead. I internally groan, as I shove the bag and the phone into the small drawer, and angrily close it.

Before I open the second drawer, my gaze is diverted upwards towards a window with the curtains closed. It seems to be the only window in the ward.

I attempt to open the curtains to get an idea of what the time of day it was but before I can even position myself to, a nurse totters in happily with a cart full of syringes.

"No, no, no.." I mutter under my breath as I quickly dive under the covers. Well, as quickly as I could, keeping in mind the potential injuries I have which I haven't even checked yet. But there is pain somewhere. I'm just not sure where yet...

"Ah! Miss Deyes, you've woken up finally," She extends her hand. "I'm Nurse Winters." She says. I timidly outstretch mine in return. "Olivia." I say shyly.