Of course I love him, I’m getting a tattoo for him, but did I love him?

Did he love me?

Am I actually falling in love with Harry?

My clouded thoughts are dismissed when I hear the faint ring of my phone and I look down to see Louis face across my screen.

I slide to unlock it and click the accept button. I pull it up to my ear in time to hear, “Emma?”

“Yeah, what’s up Lou?” I respond.

“I’m trying to stall Harry but he wants to meet you there now because of your tweet.”

“Shit. The girl’s still sketching the two of them. It’ll only take 5 minutes for her to do the first one though, so like hold him off for ten more minutes?”

“Ugh, fine, but he won’t shut up about you,” He complains.

I laugh, “Better be good things.”

He starts to repeat Harry’s words, “Emma’s so beautiful, Emma’s perfect, Emma is the best writer in the entire world. Oh my god, Emma and I had-”

“Oh my god don’t finish that sentence please!” I shout into the phone, covering my mouth in shock.

“Haha, seriously though, he never shuts up about you anymore, it’s almost like he’s in love.” He says quietly.

“Well, I’m starting to question that myself.”

“You think you’re in love with him?”

“I have no idea what love even is, how the hell am I supposed to know if I’m in love with him?!”

“Well, you’re coming to the expert here.” I can basically hear him grinning through the phone. “It’s when you think about them constantly; about their well-being, if they’re safe. You want to protect them from everything, even things are out of your control. You aren’t afraid to completely be yourself in front of them. When you know all the faults about them and despite all their problems you still want to be there for them. It’s just a natural thing, and I know how cliche that may sound, but you will know if you started to feel that way.”

“I.. I guess. Do you know if Harry’s ever been in love?”

“Yeah. Past ex-girlfriend.”

“Oh.”

“Don’t worry about it, Emma, it didn’t end up well. I’m pretty sure he is falling in love you. As your best friend I will not hesitate to beat the shit out of him if he hurts you though.” He says in a manly tone.

“Louis, he’s your best friend too.” I chuckle.

“Damn, okay well whoever hurts the other I will beat them up, so watch out!”
“Alright Lou, I’ve gotta go she’s ready.”

“I’ll send him over there in ten minutes so expect him to be there soon.”

“Okay, love you.”

“Good luck, love you too.” He says before I hang up the phone.

The lady appears motioning me over to the room she had just previously came out of. I stand following her into the back room which is an exact replica of the front of the store, just small and compact with a leather reclining chair in the middle. She sterilizes the equipment before turning it on, I lean back in the chair showing her the spot where I want it. I cringe as the buzzing instrument pierces my skin, but I shut my eyes trying to lull myself into peace. The sting becomes less painful, and she seems to finish up quickly as the tattoo is so small. Before she covers it up in plastic wrap to prevent infection, I quickly snap a picture and send it to Louis.