Chapter 9

By the time we were finished playing I was done. Harry and I were definitely giving each other a work out. Although he wasn't particularly good, it was a lot of work to take the ball from him since he was stronger than I was. Louis spent most of the time laughing at Harry and I, we were definitely more intense than him and Niall. Harry was also shirtless at the moment, and I was enjoying the view. He also had tattoos like Louis, and I found them fascinating. The sweat dripped off his bare body slowly. I bite my lip and continue to stare. My eyes flutter up and I realize that Harry caught me staring. He laughs under his breath and I look away slightly embarrassed.

"So Em, how are you getting home?" Niall asks me after we were finished playing and getting ready to part our separate ways. We were standing where they all parked.

"Oh, I was just going to walk." I say, happily.

"I can take you?" Niall suggests, "We all drove separately so."

Harry looks around defensively before speaking up, "No, I'll drive you." He gives Niall a look that says "back-off".

I look at Niall and Louis, and then speak up, "it's fine, I'll just walk. Thank you anyways." I smile.

"Emma. You don't have to walk." Harry says.

"Harry. I want to walk." I challenge him.

"No, I don't think you do. Get in the car." He snaps back, walking towards his car and opening the passenger door for me. How can he be rude and a gentleman at the same time?

"Well if anyone's going to drive me home I'd prefer it to not be you." I suggest.

"Emma, would you please, please get in the car so I can drive you home? I swear if you want, I won't talk." He says with a pouty look on his face.

I sigh in defeat and figure it would just make it easier if he drove me. I didn't really want to walk but I didn't really want him to drive.

"No." I say and shake my head.

"That's it, Emma I didn't want to have to do this but you're leaving me no choice." He says. He leaves the passenger door open and walks towards me. I take a step back, "Harry what are you-" I start to say. He picks me up and flings me over his shoulder.

"HARRY PUT ME DOWN!" I scream at him, pounding my fists on his back and kicking my legs aimlessly. I can hear Niall and Louis laughing at me. I suppose it is funny from their point of view and I start laughing as well. I give Niall and Louis the finger as Harry carries me past them. Harry puts me down at the car door and allows me to get in myself. He walks to his door and gets in, "see, was that so hard?" He says with a playful look on his face.

"You're not very nice," I remark crossing my arms childishly. Harry opens his mouth to speak, but Louis pounds his fist on the window, making me jump. Harry shakes his head and turns towards slowly towards the window. He rolls it down, "What?"

"Are you coming back to my place after?" Louis asks with a smile plastered on his face.

"Yup, probably." Harry says annoyingly.

"Great, pick up some food on your way home!" He says and then exits. Harry waves at Niall and shouts "see ya!"

Harry looks back to me and asks, "Will I have to be quiet the entire trip or?"

"No, I suppose you can talk." I say, staring off into the distance.

"Awesome." And his eyes light up.

We drive for a bit in silence, only saying a bit. Eventually though, he brings up the inevitable.

"Emma, I was really hoping we could go back to being friends."

"I changed my mind, no talking," I automatically say. Harry sighs heavily.

"What did I do that was so wrong?" He questions. I want to give him a look that says "really", but then I stop myself. I know I really didn't have a good reason for disliking him. He was a player, but that didn't mean we couldn't be friends. Plus, what he did that night had nothing to do with me.

"I-" I start, "I don't know I suppose we could try being friends, but no more of your stupid mood swings I can barely keep up." I shrug. He turns to me, a huge grin plastered on his face making his emerald eyes shine. I roll my eyes at his excitement, but I can't hide the smile that tugged at my lips. "Eyes on the road," I comment tearing my eyes away from his joyful face. He laughs lightly before turning his attention back to the road.

"So since we're friends in all, can I ask you something?" He wonders.

"I guess," I shrug.

"Why did you care that I was with those girls?" He says with a smile that says 'this is going to be good'.

My cheeks go bright red. I have no idea how to answer this question. "Uhm..." is all I can manage to say.

"Emma..." Harry says, poking me in the side.

"Okay! I don't know why I cared, I just thought maybe because you helped me, I don't know. It was stupid." I say.

He just nods and chuckles to himself, he knows that I had a total crush on him after he helped me.

I know exactly what will piss him off, "so, Harry, why did you wait for me in your car then after?" I say with the same smile on my face that he used to have. His face fades and he strokes his hand through his curly hair.

I poke him in the side, just like he did to me, "Harry..."

We're right outside my apartment now, and I didn't even notice. He just looks away and points to the apartment, motioning for me to get out. However, I was not leaving until I got an answer.

"I'm not going anywhere until you tell me." I say standing my ground.

"Because, I don't know, I felt like a dick, I thought I had ruined our friendship," He says, getting serious.

"I don't know if you helping me once made us become friends," I point out.

"Twice," he corrects making me give him a questioning glance, "when that dick-uh- you know tried to," he trails off, his voice is teetering with anger.

"Oh," I shiver, "Yeah." The atmosphere in the car falls into a heavy silence as we both recall the memory.

"Listen Emma," Harry says turning towards me his green eyes boring into mine, "I-I promise that I'll keep you safe." He finishes, he leans forward, close enough that I can smell the mint on his breath. For a moment I lean in too, letting myself get lost in those emerald eyes. But, I hastily pull away as I snap back into reality. No, I can't, he's no good for me.

"Thanks for the ride," I whisper hurriedly not giving him another glance before I rush out of his car, leaving the boy who could've been.

a/n:

qotd how are you all doing today