Chapter 49

"She wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

"She wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell."

Twenty-one years and some days ago

Lorenzo, Alessandro, and their little brother Marco sit quietly in the hallway, their faces grim and frowning as they wince every time they hear their mother scream in agony. Their father was away as a war amongst the leaders was brewing.

"Is the principessa not here yet, Lorenzo? I don't like mama screaming like that anymore," Four year old, Marco, with tears in his eyes, asks quietly to his eldest brother, who solemnly shakes his head as their mother lets out another loud wail from their parent's bedroom.

Principessa. What their father always called her before he kissed their mama's tummy lovingly.

"Pazienza. Patience, Marco. The principessa will be here soon. When mama had you, you took your time as well. She will come. Just be patient." Lorenzo, at twelve years old, had sat in the same hall through each of his brother's births. Normally, though, his father was there to hold mama's hand so he was sad knowing she had to go through it alone with just the midwife.

The seven year old, Alessandro, sighs as he wraps his arm around his worried, younger brother, allowing his older sibling to do the reassuring as he wasn't a boy of many words. His heart pounded in his chest as he was excited to meet his little sister as well but was terrified every time his mother cried out in pain. Their papa was always there to reassure them everything would be fine but with him being away, the boys had to console each other in their own way.

The older two boys were also worried about the stress on mama lately. The war between the Mafia leaders was spiraling out of control and they knew mama was scared for their little sister's wellbeing as daughters and wives were being found murdered in their homes.

The daughter of the most powerful, Columbian mobster was just slaughtered in her own bed last week and, yesterday, they were given the news of the Russian mobster's, Konstantin, wife and daughter being found dead in the hospital. Rumor has it, the "doctor" smothered the daughter after she was born, telling them it was a stillborn pregnancy, and the wife died shortly after due to heartbreak. No one has seen or heard from Konstantin since. Some say he killed himself, jumping off a nearby, high bridge, others say he fled to America.