Chapter 5

"Are you having fun? You're awfully quiet," Gigi asks Eveleigh, who was sitting there quietly, her peanut butter cracker wrapper and juice box crinkled up in her hands, watching Harry's every move as he talks to his coach across the gym

He had just finished a practice match with a large, burly man that Eveleigh would run in the opposite direction of if she saw him. Harry won by a land slide, of course, but Eveleigh was still jittery with nerves, wanting nothing more to run over to him and help him with his bloody nose that he was currently sporting.

"U-Um... Nobody is punching Harry in the face anymore so... I-I guess," she answers with a shrug, her nose crinkling at the smell of sweat and blood as she no longer has anything to distract herself with as Harry goes into the locker room.

Gigi lets out a small laugh and pats Eveleigh sympathetically on the leg. "You get used to it, Evie. It took me a while to get used to Zayn coming home every night with a busted lip or black eye. It's just what they do. I'm sure they could find a safer way to pay the bills but this is what they like and, hey, if it gets their built up testosterone out so they don't have raging fits at home, I'm fine with it," Gigi jokes but she only earns an uncomfortable smile from Eveleigh even though she was grateful for the encouragement.

She wasn't really much of a talker and the girls had been trying to make conversation since she got there. Not that she didn't appreciate their friendship, but sometimes the introverted, shy girl wished people and interaction weren't so exhausting.

The only person she had found that didn't make her tired, weary, and in need of a good nap after merely speaking to them was Harry. He always seemed to know exactly what to say and how to say it. It didn't stress her out to have a conversation and spend time with him.

"Earth t' Eveleigh? Hello?" Eveleigh jumps out of her daze when she hears Harry's deep voice coming from beside her. "Oh! Hi," She whispers before a giant grin grows across her face at the sight of him.

"'Ello, poppet," he gives her a small smile, holding his hand out for her to grab. "Have fun?" He asks as he pulls her into his warm embrace, tightening his arms around her waist. She shrugs lightly, playing with a wet strand of his hair as he just got out of the gym shower.

"A bit scary?" He asks softly, placing gentle kisses on both her cheeks, his nose lightly brushing hers as he does so. She nods, looking up at him with wide, innocent eyes. "I didn't like it when he hurt you," she says, eyeing his cheek bone that was beginning to turn at dark purple. "I know, petal, I know. Saw the look on y'face from up there. Want me t' start picking ya' up after practice then? So y'don't have t' see it?" He asks as they ignore their friends around them.

She shakes her head, starting to play with his cross necklace and the buttons he "forgot" to do up on his shirt. "N-No, I want to be here. To see you. Plus, the girls are nice," she says, biting her lip as she begins to regret saying that.