Chapter 5:

Cato:

Home at last.

"Hey, how was training today?" Mom asks as I walk through the front door.

"Yea, ok." I tell her.

I walk over and hug her. I wonder if she's got her head around the fact that I'm leaving tomorrow. I hear her start to sob. I hug her tighter.

"I'm... I'm going to miss you so much."

"I'm going to miss you too, but I'll see you when the games end, remember?" I say trying to comfort her. It must be hard for her, she'll be here alone.

"You don't have to go you know, you can stay, go next year or the year after."

"I do, I need to go for you and for dad."

"You've already made us proud Cato, just by being here and holding us together, dad's already proud of you."

"I'm just going to make yous more proud then." I let go of her and she goes to sit down at the table. I walk away up to my room and lie on my bed. I feel bad for leaving her here but I have to go. When I win I'll get a nice house in the victors village where me and mom can live, and maybe one day... me and Clove... I close my eyes abd think of Clove with her dark her and stunning eyes and that cute little giggle she has and her gorgeous smile and how I will be leaving all that behind too... I'll think about her everynight of the games.

Clove:

I turn on the hot water tap of the bath and sit on the edge of the bath skimming my fingertips through the water as it rises.

I can't help but think about tomorrow. I'm nervous, but I'm still going volunteer, I have no choice, I was chosen. The training centre thinks I have the best chance of all the girls of winning, which I suppose is true. Damn I forgot to ask Cato today who of the boys is volunteering! It annoys me that the boys and girls can't find out who is volunteering until the reaping! I'm dying to know. Guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow now.

I turn off the tap and skim my hand through again to check whether it's too warm. It's just right. I take off my training uniform and slip into the water.

I close my eyes, take a deep breath andduck my head under and stay there. I do this alot, I enjoy being fully immersed in the water, helps me to relax. I can usually stay under for about 3 minutes before I have to come up for air.

1...2...3...

Cato:

I open eyes and look at my clock, I must have fell asleep when I was thinking about Clove. I guess sleep is really what I need right now, big day tomorrow. I close my eyes again and drift back off.

Clove:

I go downstairs and give mom and dad a hug, Pheonix is already asleep in bed. I don't say much and neither do they, I guess they're just worried about me, I would be too if I were them. I creep back upstairs and into Pheonix's room. I sit on the edge of his bed and lean down to kiss his head.

"I love you." I whisper, being careful not to wake him.

I creep back out and into my room and get ready for bed. I get changed, brush my teeth and hair and go back to my mirror. I stare at myself for about five minutes realising that in a few days I'll be a murderer, a tribute, hopefully a victor. I'll be slaying innocent children and they slaying me or at least trying.

I turn back to my bed and climb in. I close my eyes and drift away.