five

005 | ❝missing children cases heading back every twenty-seven years.

🎈🎈🎈

🎈🎈🎈

Jessica walked into the library putting her bag down at a table before making her way to the rows of books. She picked out a couple of books for History of Magic as well as Potions before making her way back to the table. Jessica was all alone, her friends were out and about doing who knows what and Jessica just wanted to stay in and do her homework. The library was almost empty except for a couple of students. Jessica let out a sigh and opened the first book so that she could begin her Potions homework first.

Jessica felt she wouldn't get enough work done, at the table beside her was a boy who kept whining and groaning every now and then mumbling stuff to himself. Jessica rolled her eyes dipping her quill into the ink before bringing it to her parchment to write her name down. The groaning continued and finally Jessica let out a huff placing her quill down. "Are you okay?" Jessica asked turning to look at the plump boy sitting at the table next to hers.

"What?" The boy asked turning his head, Jessica now noticing that he was a Gryffindor boy that always hung around James Potter, Remus Lupin, and Sirius Black, Jessica believed his name to Peter Pettigrew. "Oh, yeah, sorry." The boy said shaking his head, "My friends are supposed to be meeting me here to study because I don't really understand Potions." Peter said.

Jessica looked down at her parchment before picking up her belongings, she walked over to Peter's table and set her belongings down. "I'm working on my Potions homework, if you'd like I can help you." Jessica said taking a seat beside Peter who looked at her nervously and unsure. "Don't worry, I wouldn't say I'm the top of the class but I'm good in the class."

"Really, you don't mind?" Peter asked moving his things away to give Jessica some space. "I wouldn't want to bother or distract you when you're trying to do your homework." He added shyly put Jessica just shook her head giving the boy a smile.

"It's fine, really." Jessica said opening up her textbook ready to help the boy on whatever he needed help with. "What are your friends up to?" Peter shrugged his shoulders looking a bit nervous, Jessica just gave him a smile and decided not to ask anymore.

🎈🎈🎈

"Hey, what's this?" Jessica asked once they were done with their Potions homework, she picked up a history book with a piece of parchment sticking out of it labeled disappearances. Jessica opened the book ignoring Peter who told her it was nothing important. Inside the book was parchment with notes on many different cases of missing children dating back to many different years all which appeared to be spaced out by twenty-seven years. "Are these all from Hogsmeade?" Jessica asked looking back up at Peter who was rubbing his hands together nervously.

"It's just something I was reading about, I got curious after the Hufflepuff girl and the Slytherin boy. The book is really old, I almost didn't find it but according to this missing people happen a lot here at Hogwarts and Hogsmeade, just nobody seems to remember because they say that nothing like this had ever happened before." Peter explained watching as Jessica read through the notes.

"I have to go." Jessica said shutting the book close and standing up. "I'll see you later Peter, this was fun." She said before stuffing her belongings into the bag quickly before she made her way out of the library ready to find Carter and Clarissa.

"Sure was!" Peter called out happily waving after her. "See you later!"

Jessica practically walked all around the castle looking for her friends who seemed to be nowhere in sight. She hadn't found them until it was time to make their way to the Great Hall for dinner, the two laughing at whatever they were talking about at the Hufflepuff table. Jessica quickly ran over to them and slid in next to Clarissa. "You guys wont believe what I just found out."

"What is it? Where have you been?" Clarissa asked turning to look at Jessica who quickly began piling her plate with food. "We went to the library to look for you but you weren't there."

"I left to look for you, I was with Peter Pettigrew and he had this really old book-"

"The Gryffindor?" Carter asked causing both Clarissa and Jessica to send him a glare.

"In the book was all kinds of information about other missing children cases heading back every twenty-seven years." Jessica said looking around to make sure that nobody was listening in on their conversation. "According to Peter, after the children go missing nobody ever seems to remember about the children, and then the cycle repeats itself twenty-seven years later. Do you realize what this means?"

"That, once children stop disappearing everyone will forget and things will go back to normal?" Carter asked with a shrug earning another glare from the girls.

"It means, this disappearances aren't random, they're happening on purpose."Jessica explained to her friends. "There's a reason why this is happening and if we can figure it out then we can know what happened to Sammy, the Hufflepuff girl, and the Slytherin boy. Who knows, maybe they're still alive!" Jessica knew she was getting a little ahead of herself but she couldn't help it, the possibility of finding her sister was all that she could think of.

"We don't even know where to start." Clarissa stated with a frown. "How did Peter even find that book? If there's a book on this how does nobody remember about all those other disappearances."

"Peter said he almost didn't find the book, you should've seen it, it was all old, almost falling apart. As for the other thing, I don't know, I'm not entirely sure about everything but maybe I can ask Peter some more about it." Jessica said looking over to the Gryffindor table to see Peter talking in whispers with his friends.

"No." Carter said shaking his head lightly. "I don't think we should drag him into this, he'll just bring his friends along and the more people there are digging into this the quicker your father finds out. You'll get into more trouble and who knows if your dad was telling the truth about sending you home. Next thing you know Clarissa and I are sending you letters to America because your going Ilvormorny and living with your aunt."

"Jeez Carter, lighten up." Jessica said flashing her friend a small smile placing her hand over his. "I'm not going to Ilvormorny, and my dad isn't finding out about this. If it will make you feel any better I wont ask Peter about this anymore, I'll just look the library to see if we can find out where to start, got it?"

"Actually, I think you should ask Peter a little more, if asks why your interested just make something up. Carter and I will look around the library to see what we can find." Clarissa said sliding her plate to the side before bringing a small cup of pudding in front of her. "We'll meet up later and gather all the information we have which will help us decided on a starting point.