one

001 | ❝Will you be okay tonight?

001 | ❝Will you be okay tonight?❞

🎈🎈🎈

Jessica walked to Hogwarts on September first without her parents or Sammy. This was her first time doing it alone, without her family, without Sammy whining about wanting to go to Hogwarts already. Jessica felt her eyes sting as she remembered her sister little giggle when their dad would tickle her picking her up into his arms while their mom told Sammy that she would soon be a student at Hogwarts. Jessica could see that all the students had already started to arrive and she only hoped she would be able to find her friends. Sadly they wouldn't be able to sit together but Jessica felt that she needed a hug.

Jessica's mum had sent out her trunk early in the morning, she didn't even have a pet to accompany her to Hogwarts. Walking into the building Jessica looked around for either Clarissa or Carter, it didn't matter to her which one she found first. The entrance of the school was crowded with students from all houses greeting any of their friends they hadn't see on the train or in the carriages. "Jessica!" A girls voice called out and Jessica quickly turned to see her friend Clarissa waving her over.

She hadn't changed much over the summer, only her red hair seemed to be longer and her green eyes brighter. She was probably happy and it probably had to do with the fact that she and Carter were now dating. Both Carter and Clarissa knew what had happened to Jessica over the summer, they had both attended the funeral were an empty casket was burried in hopes to bring some peace to the family.

It hadn't.

Jessica could still hear mother crying in the middle of the night in the room next door, the room that belonged to Sammy. Jessica could see how exhausted her father still looked from the lack of sleep he still hadn't been able to get as he searched for Sammy anywhere he could think of. Bill and Marcy didn't want to give up but maybe, they thought, it was time that they did. Jessica couldn't bring herself to think the same as her parents. Everyday she would find herself outside walking from her house to Honeydukes in hopes of finding at least one clue as to where Sammy could be.

Clarissa ran over to Jessica wrapping her friend into a tight hug, "I'm really sorry you couldn't come and stay with us over the summer." she said pulling away from Jessica. "I really wanted to help but my parents thought it was important for you to be with your family during..."Clarissa trailed off with a frown. Jessica nodded her head in understanding, her parents would have not allowed her to go anyway.

"There you girls are." Clarissa and Jessica turned their heads to see Carter a tall, well built, black haired boy. His arms wrapped around Jessica in a hug, "How are things at home?" he asked pulling away to wrap his arms around Clarissa while he placed a kiss on her cheek.

"The same." Jessica answered leading the way into the Great Hall. "Mom won't stop crying, dad won't stop working..."

Carter licked his lips turning to look at Jessica, "It'll get better." he said. Jessica could only bring herself to nod her brown curly hair falling in her face as she made her way towards Slytherin table while Clarissa went to Ravenclaw and Carter to Hufflepuff.

Jessica took a seat between two other Slytherin girls, her roommates who looked at her with pity. Jessica knew that it was because they had heard about what had happened to her family, it was all over the Daily Prophet. Jessica tried to ignore the stares and turned to the doors where she saw the group of new first years walk through. They were all being lead by Professor McGonagall the head of Gryffindor house.

They all came to a stop in front of the table which held all the professors, along with the headmaster of Hogwarts. Professor McGonagall cleared her throat bringing out a stool and a dirty old patched up pointed hat. It stood still for a while, but then like always a small slit at the rim of the hat opened up and he began to sing about all four houses of Hogwarts and the four founders.

When the song finished and the hat stilled once more everybody began to clap. "Now, as I call out your name you will walk up and take a seat on this stool where I will then place this hat on your head. After your house has been called you will take a seat at one of the four tables." All the first years turned their heads looking at the four table before turning back to look at Professor McGonagall.

The first student that was called was the first new student of Ravenclaw. It went on for a while the hat calling out either, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, Gryffindor, or Hufflepuff until the last remaining student had been placed into one of the four houses. Once everyone was sat at their respective table Professor Dumbledore, the headmaster stood from his chair. Everybody grew quiet turning away from greeting the first years to listen to the headmaster.

"Welcome students new and old, welcome." Professor Dumbledore said a smile on his face as he looked around at all the faces. "Let the feast begin." As Professor Dumbledore took his seat once more food appeared on the table. Jessica reached for the food piling her plate high.

Jessica didn't talk much to anyone just a couple of hellos here and there to anyone that greeted her but she mostly ate in silence. Usually Jessica would talk to her roommates about the summer but there was nothing to be said about her summer. Jessica was sure that everybody knew what had happened to her and her family over the summer, it had been published in the Daily Prophet.

Thankfully nobody made any effort to mention what had happened so she was able to ear her food until it was time to go to the dorms. Jessica paid no attention to anyone, not even the ghosts when they came into the Great Hall to great the students back. Once the food disappeared everyone in the Great Hall grew quiet once more as Professor Dumbledore stood up. "I have a couple of announcement before I let you off to bed," Professor Dumbledore stated. "it will do you well to remember that the Forbidden Forest is forbidden to enter for any student in any year. Secondly it has come to my attention that last year students have been going down to the basement, the place is now restricted and you will do well to keep that in mind for your own safety." Jessica felt a shiver run down her spine, she never even knew Hogwarts had a basement but she wondered what was so unsafe in there that it was restricted. "Now, off to bed everybody!"

Jessica stood from her seat and made her way towards the Ravenclaw table along with Carter. "I wonder why anybody would even go to the basement." Carter said watching as the first years were gathered by the prefects of each house.

"I bet it's all gross and disgusting down there with spider webs and dust." Clarissa said in disgust. "Will you be okay tonight?" Clarissa then asked turning to look at Jessica who nodded her head giving her friends a smile.

"Yeah." She said biting her top lip. "I'm sure I'll get better sleep now that-" Jessica let out a huff of air, "I'll see you guys tomorrow." she then said turning away from her friends to make her way out of the Great Hall. Neither Clarissa nor Carter called after her instead they let her leave turning to each other with worried glances.

When Jessica got to the Slytherin Dungeon she called out the password and entered to see that nobody had lingered in the commons, instead they had all gone up to the dorms. Jessica made her way up the stairs and opened the door to her room stopping when she saw that her roommates had all stopped talking upon seeing her. "What?" Jessica asked walking further into the room and up to her trunk to get her pajamas.

"Nothing." One of the girls said turning back to her friends where they all started talking again but this time in hushed whispers. Jessica rolled her eyes but didn't say anything, instead she walked to the bathroom to get ready for bed. When she walked out of the bathroom she got into her bed and pulled the covers over herself and closed her eyes. Jessica's roommates believed that she had already gone to sleep so they tried to be as quiet as possible but Jessica was still awake.

It was hard to sleep when she could hear the hushed whispers of the girls and she wondered what they were talking about. Were they talking about her? Probably not. Jessica let out a huff and turned to her side listening as the whispers came to a stop, it was quiet for a while and then the whispers began again making Jessica roll her eyes. The whispers went on for a while, she didn't know when they had stopped but when they finally did she was able to close her eyes and go to sleep.