Higher education, dumbass

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I groaned as I turned off my alarm and forced myself to roll out of bed instead of falling asleep again.

I was barely even noticing what I was doing as I non chantingly threw on a gray sweater, jeans, and some tennis shoes. Or when I was brushing out my blonde hair, too lazy to do anything else with it. I quickly made some toast and ate it as I packed up my backpack and opened the door.

Will and some girl talking in the driveway. I couldn't make out what they were saying so I leaned against the doorframe and waited until they came to me.

The girl was definitely closer to Will's age, probably 24 or 25. She has slightly wavy, long black hair and pale skin.

It didn't take long for the girl to notice me and eventually pointed over in my direction attracting Will's attention too. He waved me over.

I sighed and pushed myself up off the door frame and over to them. "Mornin' Liz, this is my friend Micah Schulz. Micah, this is my little sis, Liz." Will introduced.

"Hey," Micah nodded to me. I smiled.

"What are you doing up so early?" Will asked, looking at his watch, 5:02.

"I got school. What are you doing up so early?" I asked.

"Micah's Uncle died last week, she thinks it might be paranormal," Will said.

"Alright, what's the theory? Where?" I asked.

"No theory yet, he died on Hairy Man Rd, Round Rock, Texas."

"Texas? I gotta miss school? Whatever, we'll talk in a couple hours, I'm going to school." I sighed, "see you later, Micah."

"There's no need for high school, why don't you just drop out?" Will yelled after me.

"It's called getting a higher education that you, dumbass!" I yelled back, smirking to myself as I heard him mutter bitch.

"Hey, are you okay? I tried to call you but it said that your number was disabled," Aled said, catching up with me as I walked into the school. Aled is one of my close friends, he didn't know Anika that well so he decided against going to the funeral, although I invited him.

"Yeah, I'm fine. My phone doesn't work anymore."

"Really? Ever since Anika died, you've been kinda distant," Aled said, I couldn't say he was wrong but I had my reasons to be distant.

"I'm fine, promise. It wouldn't be because of Anika anyway."

"Then that brother of yours." I froze.

"What about Will?" I asked, stepping in front of him, a bit more defensive than I meant.

"So, it is Will, huh? What's he doin'? What's he sayin'?" Aled asked and I groaned.

"He's not doing anything either, I-" I began to explain but Tulip interrupted.

"Whatcha talking about?" She asked, I opened my mouth to answer but Aled beat me too it.

"Her strange behavior, I think it might be connected to the sudden appearance of her brother."

"It is not-"

"You've been distant, Liz, ever since your brother came in a week ago," Tulip said and I gave her a glare. "That's it, I'm coming over today, after school."

"You can't, I'm going to Texas," I said pushing past her to go to my locker.

"Texas? Why?" Aled asked, following me.

"Will's friend's uncle died," I said, unable to think up a better lie.

"And? You don't have to go, you got school. Why does it matter what happened to Will's friend's uncle?" Tulip asked.

"It matters to Will so it matters to me. Will is the best older brother I could possibly ask for. I'm just..." I paused, searching my brain for a lie, "overwhelmed."

"Alright, well, take my extra phone. I expect at you'll call?" Tulip said, handing me the extra phone her overprotective parents make her carry around in case her actual phone dies.

"Thanks, Tulip. I will, I'll call you too, Aled. Just, don't blame Anika or Will, okay?" I asked, putting the bedazzled phone in my pocket.

"Alright. Stay safe, K?" Tulip nodded to me and they let me continue to class. I hope I can keep that promise to Tulip.