Letters At Camp and My Story

Camp was going well, I worked with Peggy and the boys examining their character. I wanted along with my father to choose Steve but Colonel Phillips wasn't going for it. I was also recieving letters from Bucky almost once a week and I would always write back.

My Dearest Bucky, 

   Words cannot explain how I miss you, I can't wait to see you again. i've been having a good time in Jersey but I wish I could see your smile again. I hope everything is going well. Stay safe. I love you so much. Inside I have a gift it's a hankerchief of mine. I hope you'll hold onto it dearly.

                                                                                                                                                      Love, Your Ellie.

Dear Ellie,

     I miss you too, England is beautiful but I miss your beautiful smile and wish I could hold you in my arms once more. I hate seeing my men torn up and then I think of you and that helps me to hold on. I don't know when I'll see you again. I love you so much. If you see Steve again tell him I'm okay alright? I don't want him worrying about me. Thanks for the hankerchief I'll hold onto it and give it back when I see you again. Never forget me alright? 

                                                                                                                                                     Love, your Bucky.

I cherished the letters and then Steve was finally chosen for the serum and we could tell him our story. We walked inside and Dad talked to him for a little bit before telling him about Schmidt. 

"Can I ask a question?" Steve said.

"Just one?" I replied.

"Why me?"

"I suppose that's the only question that matters."  Dad replied. "This is from Augsburg, our city. So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own. You know, after the last war, they... our people struggled. They... they felt weak... they felt small. Then Hitler comes along with the marching, and the big show, and the flags, and the, and the... and he... he hears of me, and my work, and my daughter, and he finds me, and he says "You." He says "You and your daughter will make us strong." Well, we are not interested. So he sends the head of Hydra, his research division, a brilliant scientist by the name of Johann Schmidt. Now Schmidt is a member of the inner circle and he is ambitious. He and Hitler share a passion for occult power and Teutonic myth. Hitler uses his fantasies to inspire his followers, but for Schmidt, it is not fantasy. For him, it is real. He has become convinced that there is a great power hidden in the earth, left here by the gods, waiting to be seized by a superior man. So when he hears about my formula and what it can do, he cannot resist. Schmidt must become that superior man." Dad said I shivered at the mention of Schmidt.

"Did it make him stronger?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, but... there were other... effects. The serum was not ready. But more important, the man. The serum amplifies everything that is inside, so good becomes great; bad becomes worse. And then in his madness he injected me saying that I would be a perfect bride. Dad got me out but I'm different now because the serum changed me as well. This is why you were chosen. Because the strong man who has known power all his life, may lose respect for that power, but a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows... compassion." I replied.

"What did it do to you?" 

"I cancontrol the elements fire,water,wind,earth and Metal. I grew stronger and smarter too. Tomorrow Steve you will do great. The serum will work on you, that's why we chose you."

"Thanks. I think." He said glumly.

"Get it, get it. Whatever happens tomorrow, you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are, not a perfect soldier, but a good man." Dad said and we left. I just hoped that we were right.