chapter 11

Ross looked around the dinning hall. Where was his wife?

He hadn't seen her all night. He had seen that one lass what's her name Gretel. The young lass was almost stalking him. She was everywhere he turned.

Ross had had enough. He left the dinning hall and went up to there chambers.

The candles were unlit when he walk in. A soft glow came across the room. In the corner by the fire that cast a soft glow. Arabella sat with her legs brought up on the chair. She was asleep.

She looked so young when she slept.

She still lay in her dress and hair all done up. Ross gently lifted arabella up and over to the bed.

Holding her in his arms he undid the pins in her hair letting the dark locks fall. Softly he removed her dress holding her in his arms.

She was an Angel, So soft and warm. Ross laid her down in the bed, covering her with blankets to keep her warm.

Ross removed his clothing as well slipping into the bed next to her. He pulled her into his chest kissing her head softly.

As she slept he sang to her before he fell asleep.

Arabella woke to find herself not alone. Or the fact she didn't have any clothes on. She also was in bed?

She didn't remember a single thing from last night besides falling asleep. Looking over she saw Ross sleeping away.

Had he undressed her and put her to bed? The idea didn't bug her in the slightest. It was more romantic in a way. It showed he cared for her.

Slowly she wrapped a blanket around herself. Trying to move from the bed with out disturbing ross. That was something hard.

The minute she was out of the bed she was back in. Ross wrapped his arms around her pulling her back in.

"Aye good morning"

She couldn't help but smile at Ross's half awake face. He looked so cute.

"Where did ye think you were off to lass?"

Arabella blushed she knew what he wanted to do. How did she tell him that she was trying to put distance between them. She didnt.

"You looked rather tired and happy sleeping I didn't want to wake you"

It wasn't a complete lie.

Ross smiled to her, "Shall we start the day then lass?"

Arabella nodded and slid from the bed.

After bathing and dressing arabella made her way to the breakfast hall.

Ross sat at the very end looking handsome as always. Arabella made her way to her spot beside him.

In the distance arabella saw the young girl Gretel. She gave arabella a cold stare before turning away. Why did she hate her so much?

Food was soon served, everyone dug in. Arabella brought a spoon full of food to her mouth but not before someone screamed.

Ross stood from his place rushing to the kitchen to find one of the maids crying. There lay a dead cat beside he a bowl of oatmeal.

Arabella stood beside Ross looking at the mess in front of them. Arabella couldn't take the sight and returned to the dinning hall.

On the table another stray cat wandered over on the table. He dipped his head down into the abandoned oatmeal.

Arabella watched the cat eat from her bowl. She loved animals.

The cat stopped eating. It's body going stiff. The poor animal started hacking as if trying to bring up it's food. Soon enough the cat dropped dead.

Arabella stood in shook at the sight before her. Words couldn't leave her mouth. She didn't even notice Ross come behind her.

"Aye maggie come bring the mistress back to her room please"

Maggie came around and grabbed arabellas arms. She barley noticed her take her out of the hall.

It was all hitting her. The oatmeal was poisoned. Someone wanted her dead or atleast gone.

Maggie set her down at the end of the bed. Arabella couldn't break from the shock she felt. Who would try and kill her?

Ross had anger boiling inside him. Someone wanted his wife dead. Who ever it was would die. No one messed with the laird.

Everyone cleared out of the hall besides bean. Bean stood next to him nothing could scare that man.

"Aye who would want ye wife for dead?

Ross didn't answer because he didn't know. Or did he?

"Aye bean who here doesn't like arabella?

It was a simple question but even bean didn't know.

"No one dislikes that lady everyone loves her"

Exactly Ross thought to himself. No one could hate arabella she was kind and sweet. The only person here that didn't take a liking to her was Gretel.

"Aye my have an idea of who it could be" Ross said stalking out of the dinning hall.

Ross made his way down to the maids quarters. They were at the opposite end of the castle from where Ross and his men slept. 

It was smaller rooms that were shared between 2 or 3 girls. The only person to have there own room was Maggie.

"Aye my laird what brings ye down here?"

A maid walked over to ross. She looked a bit confused too. It was no secret that Ross never came down to the servants quarters.

"Where is Gretel? I would like a word with her"

The young maid looked scared for her life. So she didn't lie when she said where to find the other maid.

"She's out back laird down by the river just down the trail"

Ross nodded and left. He had fire in him burning hot for arabella.

Just as the maid had said Ross found Gretel down by the river.

Sometimes the maids liked to come down here and bath or just be alone.

"Gretel" Ross called out.

The young girl turned to face Ross. A smile graced her. She let her movements be flirty.

Ross found nothing of her attractive she was but a child in his eyes. A child that need know her place.