chapter 12

Ross was ready to make it known to Gretel that she was a servant. She could be easily replaced.

"What can I do ye for my laird?"

Gretels smile wasn't innocent it was lust and sin mixed together. Ross could only think of arabella and all her pureness.

"Ye needs to learn ye place and stop this childish nonsense or else ye'll be sent away"

Ross didn't smile as he spoke. He saw the fear in the child's face as he spoke to her.

"Aye have no idea what you are saying laird. Why would I go after that ugly hag ye call a wife."

The words she spoke were poison as is. Ross hated the girl more for how she dare speak of his wife. Arabella was young and beautiful.

Gretel wasn't even fully 17 for a few more months. Yet men had already had a go with her. She felt proud of herself for that.

Ross saw nothing to be proud of she would never make a good wife.

"Aye lass watch what ye say. Now I want the truth did ye poison arabella?"

Now done with her antics Ross was ready to leave. He wanted to be with arabella making her feel better.

"Aye I hate her but I wouldn't be stupid enough to kill her. Have ye ever thought maybe someone else is after her?"

Gretel grabbed her skirts and left. Not before turning with one last word.

"If I were ye though I would watch out for her though."

Ross was then left alone by the river shore. If Gretel wasn't trying to get rid of arabella who was?

Ross made his way back to the castle dead set on making sure arabella would be safe.

Going a head and making sure that people tested arabellas food before she ate it. Also having men watch her every moment of the day.

Ross wasn't going to lose arabella over this. It made him think maybe he should send word to Charles. Arabella was close with the one brother.

Taking some time Ross started a letter. Sending word to Charles of the matters at hand. Ross kept some parts out though. He didn't want to worry Charles to much.

It would take sometime till they would hear word from Charles. Until then Ross was alone.

Arabella sat by the fire in her room. Sipping the tea that Maggie had brought her.

Someone wanted her dead. Why? Would this risk Ross and Maggie even bean?

Arabella even worried for Charles her brother. He was going to be a father soon. She couldn't put his life in such danger.

What if she left. Was just gone. No one would know. They would be safe that's all that would matter.....right?

Feelings stirred inside her. Feelings of Ross. How she would miss him and everything they had. No one would make her ever feel like such.

This would be made a plan. She could leave now. Sneak out the back to the lake that was past the woods. It connected to the river.

If she followed the river she could make it to England. The thought seemed forgin to her now.

Tonight she could put the plan in motion. Ross would be with the men enjoying the ale or fall asleep after being with her.

Just the thought of Ross letting his hands rome her body made her not wanna leave. She had to she couldn't risk Ross or his people.

Ross returned rather late to see her. He seemed tired and a bit distant. Arabella kept telling herself it was for the best though.

Night came rather fast. The nights sky was cloudy as if it may rain. As predicted Ross was down bellow with the men having a drink.

Maggie was told to have an early night for herself. The woman was more a mother to arabella then her own. She deserved a early night.

Arabella dressed in a light green dress. It was easy to put on for her without help.

Grabbing a cloke arabella slipped out unnoticed. The air was chill rain even started to fall. She was barely outside before she was soaked to the bone.

Tears flooded her vision as she walked through the back. She was so close until...

"Aye lass what ye thing he doing out here Ross will have me head if I let you go any farther"

Bean stood in front of arabella and her plan. She couldn't leave with out a fight.

Trying to run and duck from the side. Bean was fast to grab her. Throwing her over his shoulder kicking and yelling he carried her in.

To get to the upstairs they had to go pass the dinning hall. They both knew that Ross was going to see them. Maybe it was for the best.

Bean took arabella up to her room leaving her for Ross to deal with.

Panic raced through her body. What would he say? Would he be mad? Of course he would. Why did she do such a thing.

Her dress was soaked through and sticking to her body. The fire was lit and warmed the room. Arabella was greatful for it.

It wasn't long before Ross stormed in. He had fire in his eyes. Would he hit her? Cast her out?

"What on earth were ye thinking?!"

Ross's voice was strong loud and a bit scary.

".....i...am...s.ss.sor.rr..y"

The words couldn't wouldn't form to her mouth. Fear and the cold sat on her shoulders.

"You could have been killed. Why would ye think of leaving!"

Arabella didn't speak she stood there waiting for him to strike her. Yell some more even. Nether came.

Ross walked over and undid the front of her dress. Letting the heavy wet gown fall to the ground.

Arabella stood before him in nothing but her own skin. Did he want to take her? Her body shivered from the cold.

Ross picked her up setting her down on the bed.

Arabella sat and waited for was yet to come.