Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty Six

Dustin King

I loved her. I loved everything about her.

Her presence was comforting. When she came into my room in the middle of the night, I was convinced she'd read my mind. I needed her, and she was there.

I would never admit it to her, ever, but I loved it when she told me she would be willing to die simply so I could be happy, have a happily ever after. I knew I could never have that happily ever after without her in it. But it showed the depth of her love.

Lydia was my happily ever after.

You are my happily ever after. I hoped she could read the thought in my smile, in my eyes as I looked into hers from across the table. I reached for her hand, whispering, "Love you, Lydia."

She blushed, her attention suddenly split between me and the person to whom the sound of the footsteps belonged.

"I... have some news."

Lydia frowned at her dad's words. "Bad or good?" But we could both tell by the tone of his voice that it wasn't the latter.

"Both, I suppose. He wasn't at the house... which is, obviously, the bad news. The good news is that they're tracking his cell phone now. It shouldn't be long before they find him."

"That's good," Lydia said to him, nodding. But her reassuring smile faded as she looked back down at me, giving my hand a squeeze. It was firm. It reminded me of our promise to each other. Neither of us is leaving. "Don't worry, okay?"

I squeezed back.

"The even better news is that it occurred to me earlier this morning that the attack at the gym should be recorded on the security camera. It should be enough evidence to have him locked up." Mr. Dunst sighed heavily and took a seat beside me. His eyes were closed tightly as he rubbed his temples. "Dustin, your aunt said she'll be here around two."

"Okay." I waited for him to continue. I recognized that there was something more, something he wasn't saying. But it didn't seem as if he was going to share anything more, especially when he got up from the table and left the room.

It was quiet for a while. I tried to figure out what it was he didn't want to say but my mental list of ideas was blank.

Lydia drew circles on the table, also appearing deep in thought. "I'll miss you."

I shook my head. "I won't let you. You'll be begging me to quit harassing you." I smiled, but she didn't. "We'll only be seven numbers away from each other. Not too far." Way too far.

"It's not the same."

"I know."

She sighed. "I'll miss being close to you, you know... as often."

"How close?"

She took the hint immediately. Gracefully she climbed on my lap, her legs hugging my hips. She swung her hair to one side.

"This close..." She whispered, her hot breathe and lips tickling my ear. I smiled, feeling her thumbs play with my hair. She repositioned herself, sliding herself further into me and pecked my lips. She knew exactly what she was doing, teasing me.

"Urg..." I moaned, throwing my head back. I wanted nothing more than to throw her against the couch and kiss her.

"You like that?" Lydia asked, kissing my adams apple and it bobbed as I gulped. She laughed at the frustration I was feeling.

I shook my head, lying.

"You don't?" She taunted, I knew I said the wrong thing. "I guess I'll have to try a little harder than."