Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Dustin King

"Dustin! Get in here!"

It sounded as if he was calling from my room, and that is exactly where I found him. He sat at my desk, counting, but his back was turned to me so I couldn't see what.

"Yes, sir?"

"Shhh!" His arms moved constantly. He was counting something in his hands and, as he continued, my breathing slowed to a stop. My heart, on the other hand, sped up to a concerning pace. "Thirty-four thousand, thirty-four thousand one hundred, thirty-four thousand two hundred..." Once he was finished, my father spat a curse and turned slowly in my chair until he faced me. A stack of hundreds rested on his lap, along with the bag I'd kept it in. "Dustin, would you like to tell me where the hell all this money came from?"

No excuse came to mind, other than the truth, so I kept my mouth shut.

"Well? Huh?" He rose from the chair and crossed the room to meet me where I stood in the doorway. His steps were slow, purposeful. "You're looking kind of pale. Did you steal it?"

"No."

He glared into my eyes, waiting for me to retract my claim. I refused to look away. "Then where did it come from?"

I remained silent.

"Thirty-five thousand dollars doesn't appear out of nowhere, Dustin. I'll ask you one last time. Where did it come from?" He was speaking through his teeth now.

"Well–" I was interrupted by a swift blow to the head. My left ear rang, dazed by the sudden impact, as was I.

"Thieves aren't welcome in my house. Until you can come up with a decent excuse, the money is mine and I want you out."

--

Joshua nearly slammed his tray down onto the table. His milk would have spilled, had I not caught it in time. He was making it all too clear that something was bothering him, considering his initial refusal to sit with me.

"What changed your mind?"

"Lose the attitude." Josh put up a hand as if to block it from infecting him, too. "Dude, you know how ridiculous you look with your hood up indoors? See, this is why I'm your only friend." He scanned the room, then focused on me again. He rolled his eyes, adding, "I hardly even want to be seen with you. Your cheek doesn't look that bad."

I slid my hood off to show him.

Joshua swore under his breath. "All right, put it back up." A sarcastic, dry chuckle escaped my lips at the sight of his shock. Nothing shocked him. He leaned back in his chair, eyes wide, as he tilted his head in confusion. "You didn't tell me you had another match."

A one-sided match with my father.

"You never asked." I took a bite of my apple.

"Whatever. You going to the party this Saturday?"

I gave him a look.

"Okay, you should at least consider going. It's a beach party, after all. Know what that means?" He pounded the table with his fists in a drumroll beat. "Babes in bikinis!"

As if that would have convinced me. The last relationship I'd had didn't end well, and girls had been a sensitive topic ever since.

"Come on, Dustin. It'll help you get over her. Besides, man, you're a prize. The right girl will see that, and, who knows? She'll probably be at the party. What do you say?"

I clenched my jaw, wishing he'd drop it. But, true to Joshua's nature, he wouldn't quit until I did.

"Look, I just want to see you happy again."