Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Lydia Dunst

My heart was still pounding as I drove home. It felt like it was too good to be true, Dustin was too good to be true. I second guessed myself and second guessed Dustin. There had to be something I was missing. I shook the worry out of my head.

I hadn't been on a date in a long time, I was tired of being set up with Janie's list of hot jocks that didn't understand me. Dustin understood me.

I tiptoed into the house and shut the door carefully behind me, worrying about waking my Nana up. I turned around and almost jumped out of my skin. Sitting in the kitchen under a spotlight was my Nana.

"You scared me." I whispered with my hand on my heart.

"Now what would you be doing out so late?" She asked, her finger tapping her nose. It was her thinking face.

"Please don't tell Dad." I begged, placing my hands on her shoulders.

"I'll need to have a good reason not to tell your father." She informed and waited for me to tell her.

"I was with a boy..." I muttered. I felt weird talking about boys with my Nana. I wasn't normally so flustered and my Nana took advantage of it.

"What's his name? What's he like?" She pried and tapped the seat beside her, gesturing for me to sit down.

"Dustin, he's a boxer, sweet and really hot." My cheeks felt like they were on fire. I couldn't believe I told my Nana he was hot. My mouth just kept moving. "He asked me out tonight." I bit my lip, flustered just thinking about it.

"Okay, I won't tell your father." She agreed, but I felt a but coming. "But I want to meet this boy."

"Okay." I rolled my eyes and yawned.

"Go to sleep dear." She kissed my forehead and pushed me up the stairs.

My phone vibrated in my pocket.

CASEN: Call me.

I groaned and prepared myself for a lecture from Casen when he found out what I was doing late at night and who I was with. I closed my bedroom door behind me and hit call on Casen's contact. He answered on the first ring.

"What were you doing sneaking out so late?" He asked, no hello, how are you, straight to the point.

"Well hello to you too. I was just burning the midnight oil, I went for a jog..." I used Joshua's excuse.

"You went jogging down on Agricola? I tracked you." If he was beside me I would have slapped him. He sounded very doubtful.

"Casen!" I shouted.

"I know you're lying Lydia, your voice gets all high and pitchy." He wasn't wrong. It was involuntary, Casen and my Dad were the only ones who knew about it. "Let's skip the bickering and skip to where you were."

"Casen..."

"Lydia..." He copied my tone.

"Fine, just remind me later to unfriend you on Find My Friends." I huffed. "I went to The Kastle to see a boxing match."

"You went to The Kastle alone? Lydia that's dangerous, idiotic even. I can't believe you'd be that stupid, something could have happened to you!" I had to move the phone away from my ear, he was so loud and so mad. The reason Casen and I were such good friends was because he didn't treat me like a fragile girl, he threw that out the window.

"I wasn't alone!" I hissed, hearing him sigh on the other end of the phone. "I was with Dustin and his friend Josh." I whispered, all the anger leaving me.