𝐁𝐨𝐰𝐥 𝟏: 𝐕𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐚

Start from the beginning

The truth is, she was tired. Of having to repeat the same cycle over and over again. Of ending up on the floor, wondering why it all had to end this way. Of losing each time she chose to love.

But this time, instead of staying affixed until the room got pitch dark, she got up and took a quick shower. For the first time in what felt like ages, Nicola had something to look forward to. Quickly putting on the first thing she found in her closet and stuffing her mouth with a chocolate bar, she grabbed the keys and locked the door behind her, wishing she could do the same to her threatening emotions.

Admittedly, this was scary, but which new beginning wasn't? She was scared of hoping again, just to be disappointed when this stranger would turn out to be a con man trying to trap her into a pyramid scheme. Or worse, a criminal targeting his next victim.

But no matter how far she'd try to escape, she knew there was no way out but to face the tragedies of her life today. It was finally time to narrate her story and unravel the threads woven with the weight of things she couldn't undo. For the footprints of her past were long printed on the cement of her heart, reminding her of the fragility and betrayals of love.

It was time to brave the regrets lingering in the corners of her mind and face the burden of all things left unsaid, hoping to let go of the man she once loved but could never keep. Nicola was terrified to read her own story but at least she could eat her feelings away with the first bowl of ice cream. At least that was her affirmation for the day, a ray of light in the dusk of her life as set on a journey to explore her own darkness.

*

The ice cream parlour Rudra had chosen was located right on the outskirts, away from the bustling city life. Ironically, Nicola had always dreamed of coming here with a certain someone but life played out differently and here she was now, sitting alone in her car, about to set on a journey that would pull her apart from the man who loved her when she herself couldn't.

For in place of the beautiful meadow she had expected to find was a deep, dark hole impossible to get out of. Unsure of what she was falling into, the thrill had numbed her senses until the rough edges of the fall scarred her and left her bleeding. Love had made her blind, so oblivious that she never imagined once at the bottom of the pit, she would be too injured to help herself, staying trapped for the rest of eternity. Because when she would scream her lungs out for help, who would ever notice?

She always believed falling in love was easy but getting out of the depths of love was impossible. So when a stranger seemed to be throwing a rope towards her, claiming he would help her get out safe and sound, why would she not agree to hold onto it - even if the rope would turn out to be just a snake?

Though her desperation made her end up at the location way too early, she chose to sit in her car for a little longer. Because when the GPS of her heart had betrayed her before, leading her to the wrong man and experiences, the GPS route to this ice cream parlour had been quite simple, actually.

She wasn't sure what to believe anymore, so she chose to close her eyes and replay the memories that haunted her in her sleep. Of him. Of them. Of a love she had but lost.

*

When the alarm blared, Nicola opened her eyes and found herself momentarily blinded by the lights. It was way past noon and she had skipped lunch, but it hardly made any difference. Shoving her keys inside her purse, she swiped the card to pay the parking charges before walking towards the place where she would begin getting over her ex.

Two marble steps high were the doors Nicola had to use most of her strength to push open. The second they swung to allow her in, she was greeted with a very welcoming and familiar set of sweet smells, fuelling her craving for an ice cream. Breathing in the modern yet rustic details of the parlour, she couldn't help but appreciate the chilly air that hit against her cheeks, helping her forget the scorching heat outside.