Chapter 13

I'm sitting in my room doing homework when I hear Matt say, "It's Friday night and you're doing homework?"

     Without looking up I reply, "I'm bored. Might as well get it done now."

     "When you're finished do you want to give me the answers to the Biology homework?" He asks.

     "No way." I flip the page of my textbook.

     "Why not?"

     "One, that's cheating. Two, I'm dong Pre-Calc and three, you have hands; pick up a pencil and do it yourself. Maybe you'll learn something." I feign shock.

     "You're such a goody two shoes." Matt says.

     "Am not." I retort.

     "Are too, name one bad thing you've done?"

     "I got detention once."

     "Oh my gosh detention!" Matt mocks.

     I shake my head, "You don't know what it's like in there." Matt raises his eyebrows. "Okay it actually wasn't that bad." I laugh.

     Then, I see white flakes start to sprinkle into my room. "Whoa. It's snowing!" I exclaim.

     Matt snorts, "What? Have you never seen snow before?"

     "No, of course I have. Its just...I've never seen the first snow fall. I would always wake up to it." I stare in awe.

     "Whatever." Matt rolls his eyes. "I'm closing my window before my room turns into a ski resort." That is not a terrible idea. I shut my window and go back to my homework.

***

     "I played cops and robbers today on the playground with Lauren and the other kids! It was soooo much fun!" Lilly says with a mouth full of rice.

     "I told you it was!" I exclaim Monday night.

     "It's way better than playing tag..." Lily happily trails off.

     "So," Mom changes the subject, "how was school?"

     "It was good." I nod.

     "What's going on now that the concert is over?" Mom asks.

      "Um...nothing much...oh! There is a dance coming up so I'm going to go dress shopping with the girls." I scoop up some more rice and shove it in my mouth.

     "Isn't it a little late for homecoming?" Mom furrows her eyebrows.

     "Actually, it's not homecoming, it is a winter masquerade. That reminds me I need a mask too. But, I don't think we had a dance for homecoming." Hm, that's weird.

    "Well a masquerade sounds fun! I'll give you my debit card when you go shopping." Mom takes my plate and puts it into the sink.

     "Thanks mom!" I stand up and give her a kiss on the cheek.

     "No problem sweetie!" I run up the stairs. I'm excited, I've never been to a masquerade. I enter my room and Matt just so happens to be in his. I sit on my bed and pull out my phone.

     "Hey, what are you doing on Saturday?" He asks out of the blue.

     "Going shopping for a dress to wear to the Masquerade." I say.

     "Not anymore, I need you to babysit Lauren."

     "What!?" I walk over to the window.

     "You heard me..." Matt says not bothering to look up from whatever he is doing."

     "Why don't you do it?" 

     "Cause I already made plans with Ian." Matt says in a 'duh' kind of way.

     "I have plans too." Putting the emphasis on I.

     Matt looks over at me, "Too bad. I have blackmail."

     "That is so not fair." I cross my arms.

     He shurgs, "I don't care."

     "Dude!" I exclaim.

     "Dude!" Matt mocks in a 'girl voice', "dress shopping is not more important than babysitting."

     "When I'm not getting paid it is!" I argue.

     "Hey, you owe me!" He points his finger at me.

     "I owe you nothing, you're blackmailing me!" I yell.

    "Remember that time I let you slide because you already had plans?"

     I let out a breath, "Aren't we supposed to go on a 'date' Friday?" Isn't that enough for one week?"

     He smirks, "I actually got the date wrong, it's next Friday; but, because of your snarky remark I want the answers to the Bio homework."

     "That's cheating!"

     "I could always just..." He starts backing up towards his desk, where I'm assuming the journal is.

     My mouth falls open, "Don't you have anyone else you can torture?"

     "Well, I do, but I'm having too much fun toying with you." Matt winks.

     "Don't wink at me."

     "Why? Does it give you butterflies?"Matt winks again.

     "Ugh!" I shut my curtains and grab my phone off the bed.

Me- Heyy can we go shopping Friday instead of Saturday?

Kayla- what!!

Katie- NO! I have a bday party 2g2

Auds- I thought your mom already said yes?

Me- she did but it's matt I have to babysit his lil sis

Krysta- tell him u already hav plans

Me- I did but remember he has blackmail

Krysta- that ass

Me- I know I'm sorry

Carter- ok how about next Saturday?

Katie- works 4me

Kayla- ^

Auds- fine w/ me

Me- I'm good

Krysta- ok next sat it is :)

     I flop down backwards onto my bed. I really don't want to go shopping next Saturday because the prices will be up...well no probably not because WHO THROWS A WINTER MASQUERADE! Like seriously, why didn't they just throw a masquerade theme hoco? Whatever, I'm just hoping Matt will forget about the Bio homework because I really don't want to risk a zero.

Hey Guys! Another installment of TBNS for your enjoyment! I'm sorry I have been meaning to update and I'm a horrible person, but I was getting adjusted to the start of school and my busy schedule. It's not like it matters, nobody reads this. Anyway, I'm a senior this year so I'm excited. I don't know when I'll be able to update next though because next week is homecoming and then I'm retaking the SAT and then I have a college tour. Sorry in advance.

Until next time,

Lex