Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

GRACE

The moment I stepped foot inside the tiny shop, my shoulders began to relax. There was something about the space that calmed my anxiety, that lifted my spirits and chased away the darkness surrounding my heart. For the first time since I watched Miles' gift tumble down the drain, I felt like I could breathe.

"What is this?" I asked, eyes alight with awe.

"Well, Gracie Dearest, it seems to be some kind of store," Cole said with a grin. "A store is a place that exchanges merchandise for currency. You see-"

"Don't be a dick," Miles said, shoving Cole's shoulder before kissing my forehead. "This is where I got your tourmaline necklace."

Miles gestured for me to look around and I set off to peruse the aisles.

Mounds of various gemstones sparkled at me from handwoven wicker baskets. Statues of gods and goddesses I didn't recognize topped the shelves. Tapestries and jewelry of all kinds hung in glass cases lining the walls. Everything – absolutely everything from the floor to the ceiling – was beautiful.

"Grace?"

I gasped and whirled around at the familiar voice, shocked when my eyes met those of Marlow the Mystical herself.

"What are you doing here?" I asked suspiciously, my hackles rising.

"I'm so glad I ran into you, dear," she said, her voice rising with excitement. "There's something-"

"You!" Miles cut her off as he charged around the corner. "No. You're not talking to her."

Miles pulled me away, shoving me behind his back like she was some kind of threat. But Marlow followed, hands raised in surrender. The tangled mass of amulets and talismans around her neck clicked and clacked as she shook her head.

"Easy, boy. I know you have some kind of issue with me, but right now I need to talk to her."

"An issue with you?" He took a step forward. "You scared the shit out of her! What gives you the right to say those kinds of things to people? Huh?"

"I just said what I felt. I voiced what I saw." She eased around Miles until I could see her face. "There's something about you..."

"Yeah, something that scares you. We get it." He pulled my hand into his chest. "Grace, it's time to go."

I was so shocked by the encounter that I hadn't spoken a word. I didn't even know what to say. Words failed me. Something about the look in Marlow's eyes begged me to stay. She was trying so hard to reach out to me and I was letting Miles' overprotective nature dominate the situation.

That had to stop. He couldn't protect me forever, and he shouldn't need to protect me from little old ladies who wore too much patchouli.

"No." I planted my feet. "I want to hear what she has to say."

"Grace, she-"

"It's fine!" I cut him off and turned to Marlow, putting my back to Miles.

"I'm listening."

Marlow smiled in thanks before relaxing her shoulders and stepping forward. She held two withered hands in front of her chest and something in her stance had my hands coming up to rest against hers.

There we stood, in the middle of some kind of new age, metaphysical store, looking like we were about to slow dance.

Marlow closed her eyes and I did the same.