Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

GRACE

The tourmaline worked.

I'll admit, I was skeptical at first. It was the sweetest and most thoughtful gift anyone had ever given me, but I didn't put much stock in it. That is, until I woke up the next morning and realized I hadn't had a single nightmare, nor had I bled all over the sheets.

I never took the pendant off after that. Not once. I slept with it, showered with it, toyed with it in class. And not a single spirit showed itself to me.

Thanks to one little stone (and one spectacular guy) I was free.

Free...

Days passed.

Weeks passed.

Before I knew it, it was the morning of the one day every pre-teen girl (myself not included) dreams about.

Prom.

But I had something much more important than a frilly dress and a hot date to look forward to. Coincidentally, my birthday just happened to be the following day.

My eighteenth birthday.

Miles had the entire weekend planned out, from Friday night to Monday morning. At first, I had no interest in going to prom. Yeah, it was a right of passage no girl should miss, but I didn't see the point in getting all dolled up and going blind from camera flashes.

But that was before Miles brought me one of Kira's old dresses. The damn thing fit like a glove and it felt like a sin to not take it out for a night on the town.

So, Saturday morning I let Miles pick me up and take me to his house where his mother spent hours doing my hair, makeup, and nails. She was so easy to get along with, so down to earth, and so accepting of me, that I surprised myself just as much as her when I pulled her in for a hug after it was all said and done.

"Have fun!" She called after us as we bounded down the stairs, dressed to the nines. "Don't drink! Don't do drugs! Don't sacrifice any animals to Satan!"

"Got it, mom! Duly noted," Miles called over his shoulder.

We hopped in Meg's car and drove to Cole's. It didn't surprise me at all when he walked out the door wearing a mint green tuxedo, complete with tails.

"Damn, dude," Miles laughed, gesturing to his flamboyant getup. "I'm jealous."

"I wouldn't be. Look at your date!" Cole leaned in for a hug and I squeezed his shoulders. "I'd tap that."

I cackled as Miles playfully wrapped a hefty arm around Cole's neck and proceeded to set him straight.

Figuratively speaking, of course.

When we reached the gymnasium doors, I took a deep breath and followed Miles inside. The place was decked out in blue and white streamers that seemed to vibrate with the bass coming off stacks of speakers surrounding the dance floor. Strobe lights hung in the corners blinked down on us as we made our way through the crowd. Our classmates danced and cheered and made fools of themselves as they celebrated. It was everything a high school prom should be and more.

It wasn't until Miles cleared his throat and gestured for me to follow his gaze that I realized people were staring. More than a few heads were pointed my way. Eyebrows were inching toward hairlines. Jaws were dropping. And then, someone in the gym whistled.

Heat crept up my cheeks and I stepped back into Miles.

"If you tell me I had a nip slip, I'll die right here and now."