"Potion" (Part 1) by WhiteRabbitRhea

L O R E L E I

THERE IS something weird going on today.

Nasa may gate pa lamang ako ay ramdam ko na ang kakaibang sigla ng Clark High. Mas lalong nadagdagan ang pagtataka ko nang makita ko ang dami ng estudyanteng nagkalat sa open grounds ng school. There were also a lot of couples holding each other's hands, and they have these...twinkling eyes and wide smiles plastered on their lips as they looked at each other. For a while, it was like there were star dusts floating around the campus. Some girls were holding either chocolates or flowers, or both.

I wonder what's happening.

The same scene welcomed me at our classroom. Others, whom I recognized as the class officers, (although I'm not really sure) have started placing decorations as if preparing for an activity. Hindi yata naipaalam sa akin kung anong mga gawain sa room ngayong araw, or was I not paying attention when an announcement has been made?

'This is not you, Lorelei Rios', I chastised myself.

A rowdy group of students passed by me and I heard that the classes were suspended today. Really, may mahalagang okasyon ba ang school ngayon at marahil ay nakalimutan ko lang ito?

A part of me wanted to ask one of my classmates to enlighten me, because trust me, I'm really clueless right now. But I was also the one who decided against myself, because the only classmate I can comfortably talk to—and yes, that's Rosetta, was still nowhere to be found at this time of the day.

Maybe I should just check the club room today and hope that someone brings us a case to solve. I would be much happier to answer some headache-rendering codes and do some sort of investigation rather than wasting my time here.

Wait, I'm starting to sound like Loki. Madali kong pinalis ang ganitong isipin. Being with him in school and at home probably grew up on me that our way of thinking is beginning to be alike.

Lumabas ako ng silid at nagsimulang tahakin ang direksyon patungo sa aming club room. Pagdating ko doon ay nadatnan kong nasa labas lamang ang aming feline member na si Freya. Noong makita niya ako ay dali-dali itong tumakbo at nagpabuhat sa akin, then she began hissing at the direction of our clubroom's door. Maybe Jamie's inside that's why Freya is behaving like this early in the morning?

Wala kasi akong maisip na ibang dahilan.

Pinihit ko ang doorknob at nagulat ako sa nadatnan ko.

A bashfully smiling Jamie stood in front of our ever phlegmatic club president Loki. On her hands that were hidden behind her back was a box of a branded chocolate. It was a peculiar sight to see, if you would ask me. Dahil kailan pa ba naging mahiyain ang isang Jamie Santiago, lalo na't sa harap ni Loki? Usually, she would be this overbearing and clingy girl towards him, so why act like a reserved and timid girl now?

May kakaiba talagang nangyayari sa araw na ito.

And I barely noticed that I'm being a sharp-tongued person. What was I thinking? Is this because of the indifferent vibe in the campus today?

Mukhang hindi pa ako napapansin ng dalawa. I was debating with myself if I should make myself noticed or just turn around and go out the door silently...

When a knock answered for me.

It was only then that the two took heed of another presence in the room, which was unfortunately me. Napipilitang ako na ang nagkusang magbukas ng pinto. I felt relief wash over me as the awkward air between the three of us dissipated, thanks to this person who knocked just in time.