Chapter 19- The consequences of actions

Great now you're dead.

And my conscious was right I was dead. Gramps was a scary woman. But more than me Kartik was dead.

I slowly turned around. I could feel the color of my skin go pale. She descended down the stairs with so much poise and elegance that even today I just stared at her admiringly. Even at this age she was more elegant than half of the people at my age. Including me.

Nobody, and I mean nobody could tell from looking at her face that she was about to create a havoc in everyone's life. Aka the snow queen herself.

Even though Tittu bhaia and I didn't agree on anything. We agreed on one thing. That no matter what, nothing should reach the ears of Gramps.

I looked at Tittu bhaia. And he looked at me. We both gulped down the lump in our throat. His face was also pale.

"Myra," she called my name when she reached the last step, "Nikhil, come here."

She spoke and started walking ahead. Without saying anything we both started following her. We knew where we're heading. The stingy store room.

Gramps were many things. But she didn't for the life of her knew how to treat kids. Or shall I say now adults.

Well, Nikhil was always an adult.

Whatever, you get the point.

I wasn't pampered by my grandmother like other kids. I was disciplined. And brought up with elegance.

"Go in," she said opening the door of the store room.

Without a sound we both walked in. I hated this place. This was the place why I am still scared of the dark and still sleep with a night light on. She would always lock me here for minutes as a time out. This was her way of punishment.

But the strange thing was, this was the first time I was locked here with someone else.

There better not be anything sharp here.

We might just stab each other from fighting.

She locked the door from outside. The darkness and silence fell upon us. And my heart kept racing like a racecar.I knew fear had engulfed like a spider catching its prey in the web. I could feel my breath get uneasy. I closed my eyes tightly to be scared and tell myself that it would end in couple of minutes.

"Myra?" I heard Nikhil's voice from the dark.

"What?" I asked through clenched teeth.

This was ll his fault. I was in this position because of him.

"Are you still scared of the dark?" he asked. Surprisingly his voice was soft.

"I know this is picnic for you to know," I looked in the dark towards where the voice was coming from, "but yes I still am."

"Me too." he said surprising me entirely now.

"What?"

"Oh come on your mom isn't the only one who left you. My dad left me too."

I had never thought of it that way. His father was way older than his mother. He had three different kids with three different woman previously. But he still married Gayatri ma'am cheatingly. After Nikhil was born he went back to being his old self. He looked for more younger woman to marry and impregnant.

After he found someone much younger he left Gayatri ma'am. Along with Nikhil.

"There was a thunderstorm outside when she left." I don't know why but at that moment that's what felt right.