"And you are?" I asked, my voice hard like granite.

She didn't answer and simply watched me as if I was a puzzle she couldn't quite solve. Phoenix wound an arm around my waist and I looked up, eyes widening. He pulled me backwards, gentle yet firm. It was as if he was trying to put as much distance as possible between this unfamiliar woman and I. Even Lexus and Vilkov strode forwards, flanking me protectively. I tried not to appear dazed by the sheer power they exuded.

"This is Magali," Thea supplied after a few moments of silence. "She taught me how to harness my powers, and—well, she basically taught me how to be a badass. Not that I wasn't one before, of course. I've always been bloody brilliant—"

"She's a ved'ma." Phoenix synopsized, his grip on my waist still strong. "A witch."

My jaw slanted. I'd heard of witches, sure, but I'd never seen one. My father talked of them often, with him being acquainted with one of the strongest, but I'd taken his words with a grain of salt. Who was to know when that man was lying or telling the truth?

"The winds whispered of your power, Isa Brown. It is a pleasure to finally meet you." she said, bowing her head.

I bit back a laugh. "The winds 'whispered' about me?" I looked back at my mate, quirking an eyebrow. "I would like to know what drugs you're taking, lady. They sound fun."

She stepped forward. Part of me wanted to nestle further into my mate's arms but instead I slunk out of his hold, walking to meet the woman halfway. She tilted her head, regarding me with interest.

"You're a Huntress by birth, yet an Alpha's mate by fate. You hate killing but could do so with ease. You lost everything, yet smile as if you've never known pain. You can switch forms with anyone you desire—you can heal any injury or tear someone apart from the inside out—but you find the fact that the winds whisper ludicrous? You're stranger than I anticipated, Isa."

I threw an uneasy glance at Thea, who merely smiled. "Magali can see things that we cannot. She's going to teach you to properly use your powers, just as she did me."

Phoenix growled. "That ved'ma will be going nowhere near my mate."

I turned to face him. "And why not?"

He looked at me as if I was insane. "Because witches are evil, Isa! Any creature that upsets the natural balance is not to be trusted."

I threw my hands up, motioning to the world around us. "You upset the natural balance, don't you? Heck, even I do! Shape-shifting isn't exactly a common ability, Phoenix."

His eyes blazed. Part of me cringed at the sight of his anger, begging me to crane my neck in submission. But the majority screamed that I had to stand up—that I wasn't to fear any Alpha, infamous or not. I gritted my teeth and looked right back at him, unfaltering under his probing stare.

"You're different." he finally said. "Damien told me of your abilities...you use them for good. But witches harness their powers for evil, Isa. Trust me. I've been around long enough to know."

I wanted to question him over his final words but Damien spoke first, effectively purging my mind of the burning curiosity. "Magali taught Thea how to hone her powers and use them effectively. She could do the same for Isa, if you allow it—"

I intervened. "It's not up to him to decide what I do."

Silence ensued. Phoenix glared at me, eyes turning black with the arrival of his wolf. I snorted and looked away. I didn't care what his beast thought. I was my own person—he couldn't dictate my life, as much as he might want to. I'd been through that once with my father and I wouldn't put myself through it again.