My mother.

"Isa?"

It was Alex who'd spoken, his voice somewhat muffled by the door that separated us. I smothered a shuddering sob with the back of my hand and wiped my eyes, desperately willing all traces of emotion from my face. They couldn't see that I was weak. If they did, they'd have something to exploit.

"Just a minute!" I called back, forcing the tremble from my voice.

I heard him shuffle quietly outside. He knew I was upset—I could sense it in his reluctance to leave me alone. I was almost frustrated by his empathy. With him there, I couldn't cry—he'd hear it. I couldn't secretly mourn her death as I had done for years, safe in the comfort and confines of my own room.

"Do you...do you need anything, Isa? Or anyone?" asked Alex.

"No." I said after a moment's silence. "Just...go. Please."

And he did. His footfalls resounded in the thick silence, as if trying desperately to break through the glass house I'd placed myself in. I was fragile, without my walls. Vulnerable.

I allowed one final sob to work its way up my throat. It was the kind of cry that you had to bite your lip to muffle, for if you didn't it would escape you in a hoarse scream. 

"Okay," I whispered to myself, wiping the stray tears from my cheeks. "Okay."

I padded towards the wardrobe and pulled the darkest camisole over my head. The leggings were slightly too short but I opted to don them anyway. It wasn't like I had any other options.

After running a brush through my hair I checked my appearance in the mirror. My eyes were red, a telltale sign that I'd been crying. I was tempted to rub them, as if my fingers could wear away any traces of sadness, but decided against it with an inward scoff. The rosy tint would vanish eventually. I was confident that by the time I found the others, my unflawed mask would be back.

Can't show weakness, the power whispered. I could feel it rousing in the alcoves of my mind, as if attuned to my turmoil. We must be strong.

I took a breath, forced a smile upon my lips, and left the room in silence.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I was half expecting them to be training.

They were wolves, after all—they spent their days honing their skills, nurturing the gifts the Moon had bestowed upon them.

So imagine my surprise when I saw them all—including my mate—standing in the hall.

I stopped dead by the slightly opened doors, lips parting on their own accord. It was the palpable tension that'd piqued my interest—my mate and his company were stood at one end of the room whilst Damien and my newfound friend, Thea, were stood at the other. After a moment of careful deliberation I stepped forward, frowning.

"What's going on?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest.

Phoenix's gaze slid from Damien to settle upon me. I looked back at him, raising a speculative eyebrow, and noted how the muscle in his jaw jumped. He was angry, alright. I stood up straighter, searching the room for threats.

"Nope?" I asked, and was once again met by silence. "Alrighty then. Let the awkwardness of this encounter increase tenfold. Fine by me, I suppose."

"They're arguing over me."

I whirled around, legs sliding into an offensive stance on unconscious demand. From behind Thea a woman slunk into my line of sight. She was beautiful, with her waist length black locks and exotic green eyes, but there was something in her expression that spoke of incredible power. I moved myself in front of my mate, narrowing my eyes.